Cleaning Vintage Rod & Reel- Pics Added

Pikeslayer

Nice looking combo, do you have any info on it ?

Not sure about vintage rod/reel combos but with firearms it's a NO NO to clean them up. If you do, you lose a LOT of the value if you sell it. You might want to check on that before doing anything to that combo.

Nice looking combo, do you have any info on it ?

Not sure about vintage rod/reel combos but with firearms it's a NO NO to clean them up. If you do, you lose a LOT of the value if you sell it. You might want to check on that before doing anything to that combo.

It has late 19th & early 20th patent pending dates. I'll post some detail pics later. I was wanting to basically clean the dust & grime without compromising the finish?

a mr.clean magic eraser will do wonders on the cork, as for the shiny parts i would try a mothers power ball does wonders on a snowmobile tunnel then polish with microfibre cloth.

Actually it is not cork, rather a very dense, deep colour hard wood. I don't think chemical based cleaners are part of the equation here?

If you have no intentions of selling it then clean them up and it will display very nicely. If you do want to flip it for a profit don't even take the dust and grime off of it until you talk to a collector.

Like I said if they are judged like firearms the collectors want all the patina (rust), dust and grime that comes with aging of the item. I know, sounds weird but I'm not a vintage collector so maybe someone else can chime in and explain that.

Looks like a great find!

I've had good results with 00000 grade wire wool (or whatever the finest is) used gently and a Dremel with a felt pad and polishing compound - that was on a cane rod with a similar steel reel seat.

The handle itself looks fine and I think you'd struggle to improve the blank much without completely refinishing it - looks like glass fibre and they're not meant to be perfectly smooth anyway

Based on advice here & some internet research, I'm going to clean with Murphy's Oil diluted with water & a non abrasive cloth to remove dirt & grime and not compromise the patina ;) here's some more pix;

Reel has what appears to be some kind of braided line...

B55189B8-B0A0-406B-A6DF-3DAE8DCF778A_zps

A.F. MEISSELBACH MFG Co.

9EB88B82-F8D8-4BAE-A290-9A0272F16472_zps

891BBCE2-14DC-48E1-BF61-2B09696AC83F_zps

Reel Patent Dates

A8E000C4-2B0F-4652-ADF7-A716AC2799EE_zps

Mar. 8 '87

May 25, '97

FAE4B7CB-3E7F-402A-B40A-3026DC62D9AE_zps

Guides

41BE6603-AF1F-4E7E-8DCE-C38AA743095F_zps

Very nice. Have you Googled the reel name and manufacturer? Reel is listed on eBay for $23 US. Couldn't find much on the rod.

Did a little bit of research but not overly concerned with value as the story behind the combo is 'priceless'.

Our son Sean bought the combo from a neighbours garage sale just about 20 years ago. He was 5 or 6 at the time and paid a whopping $4.00 for it :)

Did a little bit of research but not overly concerned with value as the story behind the combo is 'priceless'.

Our son Sean bought the combo from a neighbours garage sale just about 20 years ago. He was 5 or 6 at the time and paid a whopping $4.00 for it :)

Yep, the story would be very interesting if you can dig up anything......if not, just make one up and go with it :) .....who would know the difference. :whistling: