Detroit River Eyes

jtracc

Anyone heading down or has? I have been wanting to head down for a few years now and it's gonna happen this year. I would like to stay on the canadian side and was wondering if there is enough action/ spots on our side.

Thx all

Joe

I go fairly regularly. Things are just starting to get rolling and the water is still quite cold (36 degrees from my source). With all the rain and wind this week, it will stir up the mud and the river will likely be brown so I am waiting until next week. The fishing gets better once the water gets up to the low 40's. As long as the water is clear, the fishing on our side is as good or better than the US side but if it's muddy, the US side clears up faster. You can get your Michigan license on line quite easily if you need it and you can buy a 24 or 72 hour one so I just wait until the day and buy it then if necessary.

Fishing will be good through mid-May typically and some of the common hot spots are North of Fighting Island (at Lasalle), just above and below the Ambassador Bridge and really all points in between the two along the Canadian side. You will always see boats in these areas, just join in at the top of the drift and watch for nets. I find heavier jigs are easier (3/4oz) with braided line and either a rubber worm or Finesse minnow (or similar). I always use a stinger hook as well. Boat control is critical as you need to jig perfectly vertically and be able to feel bottom on every bounce. There is a definite learning curve to this and lots of rookies end up disappointed but you just need to keep at it until you get the hang of it. You can launch at the Lasalle ramp behind the TD bank or at the free ramp in McKee park just below the Ambassador bridge.

Good luck!

Edited by G.mech

I go fairly regularly. Things are just starting to get rolling and the water is still quite cold (36 degrees from my source). With all the rain and wind this week, it will stir up the mud and the river will likely be brown so I am waiting until next week. The fishing gets better once the water gets up to the low 40's. As long as the water is clear, the fishing on our side is as good or better than the US side but if it's muddy, the US side clears up faster. You can get your Michigan license on line quite easily if you need it and you can buy a 24 or 72 hour one so I just wait until the day and buy it then if necessary.

Fishing will be good through mid-May typically and some of the common hot spots are North of Fighting Island (at Lasalle), just above and below the Ambassador Bridge and really all points in between the two along the Canadian side. You will always see boats in these areas, just join in at the top of the drift and watch for nets. I find heavier jigs are easier (3/4oz) with braided line and either a rubber worm or Finesse minnow (or similar). I always use a stinger hook as well. Boat control is critical as you need to jig perfectly vertically and be able to feel bottom on every bounce. There is a definite learning curve to this and lots of rookies end up disappointed but you just need to keep at it until you get the hang of it. You can launch at the Lasalle ramp behind the TD bank or at the free ramp in McKee park just below the Ambassador bridge.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. We not heading down till end of april. Not worried about getting the hang of it or boat control been fishing for a yr or two. Just wanna make sure I'm not wasting time in unproductive water.

Thx agian

That's what I hear as well. Heading to Florida to fish post spawn largies for a week so I won't be able to get out till I get back. I'm hoping end of April will be that mid point still a few monsters but some good number of smaller ones. Looking forward to it can't wait to get the boat out.

Water temps hit 40 plus in some areas, particularly on Michigan side. Water clarity is great. We boated some hogs. Eaters hard to come by. Launch out of Lasalle. You can easily run up and down river from there and the ramp is excellent. Michigan 1 day license is $10.

Edited by porkpie

It seams like a fun trip if your not patient enough for opener here...

Every year I consider it but then I remember in a couple weeks I'll be catching as many walleye as I want 5 minutes from my house... And then I can't justify the time and money to go there...

Please Mike, don\t start trying to justify the time or money spent catching fish especially on a public forum. If our wives get wind of talk like this we'll all be lined up at the fish market buying our weekend dinners. :canadian:

It is a fun trip and a truly unique fishing experience when your drifting downriver with a pack of 500 boats in the shadows of the Detroit or Windsor skyscrapers.

Edited by G.mech

Please Mike, don\t start trying to justify the time or money spent catching fish especially on a public forum. If our wives get wind of talk like this we'll all be lined up at the fish market buying or weekend dinners. :canadian:

It is a fun trip and a truly unique fishing experience when your drifting downriver with a pack of 500 boats in the shadows of the Detroit or Windsor skyscrapers.

I retract my previous statement...

I was obviously taking some serious drugs and I apologize if I've misled any wives...

With the wind and rain this week it will look like a Timmies double-double and will likely take a couple of days to clear up. Fishing will likely be really tough. The big girls have been biting all week all over the river. The eaters will be on soon enough but I would wait until mid week for clearer water.

Edited by G.mech