Revo Toro NaCL

DaveRoach

I am looking for some advice, I have just purchased the Revo Toro NaCL. and after reading some forums I am afraid I have made a mistake based on the gear ratio. I have heard the 6:4:1 gear ratio is too fast for most Muskie lures. I was hoping to use this reel as my go to reel from opener to late season.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

Also I have not paired this reel with a rod? any suggestions for an all around rod around the $200 range.

Thanks again.

Dave

At least an 8'6" hvy bass rod but for general purpose musky work, a med hvy 7ft+ musky rod. You will be fine for smaller baits but for the big stuff, a lower gear ratio would work better. I see many more rod/reel combos in your future....

At least an 8'6" hvy bass rod but for general purpose musky work, a med hvy 7ft+ musky rod. You will be fine for smaller baits but for the big stuff, a lower gear ratio would work better. I see many more rod/reel combos in your future....

I'm afraid your right. Since my August muskie, I have bought a giant net, huge assortment of lures, and a boat from the sportsman show. I have somehow

become an addict. Needless to say this has been a very long winter.

I'm OK with a 6.4:1. Not too much work when pulling 10's. As for a rod, an 8' Shimano Compre would be hard to beat at that price. You just missed an 8' St Croix Premier a few days ago in the classifieds for $140.

Yeah I tried for that one and missed it by a day.

A fast retrieve speed like that is perfect for picking up line quickly between pulls with Jerkbaits, and for burning small bucktails. Its not ideal for big bladed bucktails...A lot of effort to retrieve them. Its really tuff to have only one reel...lol

I do have the 6600 c4, but find the it doesnt have a very smooth drag, and a little choppy on a retrieve.

Hi Dave,

Before I start - what is your intention for muskie fishing? If you intend to just fish for them once in a while, few hours here and there, the NaCl can get the job done for you. You would find it quite a bit better than the C4 for muskie fishing, especially with the power handle, but if you try throwing big blades for a full day with it you will be sore... if you intend on fishing muskies hard and often - read on!

As Dax (Pigeontroller) mentioned, the NaCl is a great reel for high speed retrieves - such as burning smaller bucktails and lures, or picking up slack line quickly when using jerkbaits, glidebaits, big plastics and the like. You need one of these reels in your muskie arsenal, pair it with a short stiff rod (7' or 7'6" to maximize lure action on jerkbaits etc.). My favourite rod for this is the St. Croix Legend Tournament "The Jerk" which is 7'6", XH fast 3-8oz. They are pricey however at around $350, but there are many other rods with similar specifications to this one that will do the job just fine. The Compres that others have mentioned are quite good at their price point.

What you want for bringing in big blades is a reel with low gearing, such as the Abu Garcia Revo Toro Winch, which is 4.6:1. They cost around $330 new. I prefer Shimano reels, and they offer several with the gearing to do the job including the Tranx PG (4.6:1), Calcutta D (5.1:1), Calcutta TE (5.0:1)(now discontinued but awesome) or the Calcutta B series (5.0:1). The B is the most affordable at around $250, the D is around $450, and the Tranx is $600 but is an absolute beast in every way - designed for hardcore muskie anglers.

As for a rod to pair with a cranking reel - minimum 8' length (I personally prefer 9'), H or XH action, and able to handle lures up to 8oz. Compres are again quite good in this price range. If you get a rod that meets those specifications, you will accomplish several things - better hooksets, better casting, better figure 8's, and able to handle a wide range of lures including big plastics up to 8oz (which in bulldawgs is the magnum size).

Hope this helps - and welcome to the obsession!

Cheers

Pete

Hi Dave,

Before I start - what is your intention for muskie fishing? If you intend to just fish for them once in a while, few hours here and there, the NaCl can get the job done for you. You would find it quite a bit better than the C4 for muskie fishing, especially with the power handle, but if you try throwing big blades for a full day with it you will be sore... if you intend on fishing muskies hard and often - read on!

As Dax (Pigeontroller) mentioned, the NaCl is a great reel for high speed retrieves - such as burning smaller bucktails and lures, or picking up slack line quickly when using jerkbaits, glidebaits, big plastics and the like. You need one of these reels in your muskie arsenal, pair it with a short stiff rod (7' or 7'6" to maximize lure action on jerkbaits etc.). My favourite rod for this is the St. Croix Legend Tournament "The Jerk" which is 7'6", XH fast 3-8oz. They are pricey however at around $350, but there are many other rods with similar specifications to this one that will do the job just fine. The Compres that others have mentioned are quite good at their price point.

What you want for bringing in big blades is a reel with low gearing, such as the Abu Garcia Revo Toro Winch, which is 4.6:1. They cost around $330 new. I prefer Shimano reels, and they offer several with the gearing to do the job including the Tranx PG (4.6:1), Calcutta D (5.1:1), Calcutta TE (5.0:1)(now discontinued but awesome) or the Calcutta B series (5.0:1). The B is the most affordable at around $250, the D is around $450, and the Tranx is $600 but is an absolute beast in every way - designed for hardcore muskie anglers.

As for a rod to pair with a cranking reel - minimum 8' length (I personally prefer 9'), H or XH action, and able to handle lures up to 8oz. Compres are again quite good in this price range. If you get a rod that meets those specifications, you will accomplish several things - better hooksets, better casting, better figure 8's, and able to handle a wide range of lures including big plastics up to 8oz (which in bulldawgs is the magnum size).

Hope this helps - and welcome to the obsession!

Cheers

Pete

Thanks for the quick reply and yes its a Muskie obsession. If I read right I should keep this reel and pair it up with a stiff rod under 8 foot. and use my 6600 on a longer rod 8-6 - 9' for now. I am almost at an end in the spending department for now, but still must match these reels with good rods Perhaps the St. Croix muskie premier line? 7-6 Heavy and a 8-6 Heavy?.

I guess when I free up some extra cash I'll splurge on the toro winch with a 4:6:1 ratio.

Again thanks Pete for sharing your knowledge, this community rocks.

Dave

I picked up the Abu Garcia volatile rod 8'6" from sail and its a beauty, and I think I only paid $120 for it when they had one of their 15% off sales, I spoke to a bunch of people before pulling the trigger and a lot of guys were saying they switched over to them once their other rods broke etc and really enjoy them, and the price

I picked up the Abu Garcia volatile rod 8'6" from sail and its a beauty, and I think I only paid $120 for it when they had one of their 15% off sales, I spoke to a bunch of people before pulling the trigger and a lot of guys were saying they switched over to them once their other rods broke etc and really enjoy them, and the price

Funny thats where I picked up the reel last week and got the same 15% off, Muskie Canada was there so i signed upwhile they were there. I've been researching the Volatile and think I might pick up a couple to do for this year anyways.

I went to the Sail website but they dont list that rod?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this rod?

Thanks again everyone.

Dave

Edited by DaveRoach

Thanks for the quick reply and yes its a Muskie obsession. If I read right I should keep this reel and pair it up with a stiff rod under 8 foot. and use my 6600 on a longer rod 8-6 - 9' for now. I am almost at an end in the spending department for now, but still must match these reels with good rods Perhaps the St. Croix muskie premier line? 7-6 Heavy and a 8-6 Heavy?.

I guess when I free up some extra cash I'll splurge on the toro winch with a 4:6:1 ratio.

Again thanks Pete for sharing your knowledge, this community rocks.

Dave

Hi Dave,

One thing I didn't see mentioned is trolling which is a very common technique and a welcome change after an hour of throwing 8oz. baits. Typically a trolling rod will be glass rather than Graphite with more of a medium action that lets the big crankbaits move. My recommendation is find a 8'6" heavy/fast for your new NaCL, and get the C4 serviced and stick it on a trolling rod.

Are you sure your reel speed is 6.4:1? Thats the NaCL HS and I didn't believe Sail sold that model. If its the standard NaCL 60, its 5.4:1 and as good an all purpose musky reel as you can get.

Regardless, good luck with your new found obsession!

Hi Dave,

One thing I didn't see mentioned is trolling which is a very common technique and a welcome change after an hour of throwing 8oz. baits. Typically a trolling rod will be glass rather than Graphite with more of a medium action that lets the big crankbaits move. My recommendation is find a 8'6" heavy/fast for your new NaCL, and get the C4 serviced and stick it on a trolling rod.

Are you sure your reel speed is 6.4:1? Thats the NaCL HS and I didn't believe Sail sold that model. If its the standard NaCL 60, its 5.4:1 and as good an all purpose musky reel as you can get.

Regardless, good luck with your new found obsession!

Again great advice, and so glad to read, you were correct I do not have the high speed reel and was relieved to see 5:4:1 on the box. I just bought the

6000 last year but perhaps it needed servicing from the get go. Any thoughts on a trolling rod?

I'm no expert on the nacl but seems like a good all round reel, I'd pair it with an all round rod like 8'6H. You can get by throwing everything on this. Personally I'd sell the C4 if you can and work towards putting together another combo for your style of fishing. I'd say wait a year and figure out what you need most (big baits, jerks/gliders, trolling combo). Or win the lottery!

The new compre's do feel pretty nice. It seems like they've upgraded (have not researched this). I picked one up a few weeks ago and they seem to feel lighter than the old ones.

Make sure if you get one rod it's rated something in the 2-6oz range so you don't limit yourself with something lighter. It's easy to throw lighter baits on a heavy rod but difficult and uncomfortable to throw heavy baits on a light rod.