Whats your worst fishing accident

LostAnotherOne

Back in the 70's 3 men, the father, the son and son in law all lost their lives on a calm day on Nipissing. They were neighbors of my in-laws. They had bought a cottage west of the place they had sold. The idea was to load the swimming raft with furniture and boxes tie it all down and tow it with a cedar strip with a 15 horse to the new place around the point and across a bay. It would have saved hours of work if it worked out , it did not. They loaded for the last trip and the folks on land left by car to meet them at the dock. The friends and family on land waited but the boat never showed up. Someone went back to the cottage hoping to find the boat and raft there presuming that they may have backtracked if there was a problem. A half hour went by when the OPP and an EMS bus showed up. Somehow the boat and raft capsized. All 3 men drowned. To this day there is no definitive answer for the family as no one witnessed it. Loosing 3 men from the same family on the same afternoon must be beyond tragic. There many lessons to be learned here.

Probably this. Nothing crazy, the worst part was getting it caught on the rope while loading the boat back up and heading to Soldiers Memorial in Orillia, lol! Back on the water by 10:30 :)

IMG_20120610_102155.jpg

Same place I had this one removed, I'll bet they do a roaring trade every summer!

Loudmouthbass25pc.jpg

My daughter hooked me, we kid her that she caught a 180 lb loudmouth bass.

Dave, first thing the Dr asked me was why I wasn't fishing barbless (He's a fly fisherman from out west!) Thought that was pretty funny :)

:P

Ear piercing!!!!

At least that one is easy to push through and snip.

Thats funny billm

Yeah, #1 son suggested that. I would get known as the Fishing Punk.

I noticed the ear piercing has terminal tackle going to that jig head. I was taught at an early age to tie directly to the jighead. But that would be you daughters jig, no? Maybe Dad is giving himself an advantage???

Nah, when you're fishing with family, and just for fun, it's easier to use swivels. It also fits with what I humbly call Bailey's First Law: Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is usually the father.

Back in '06 we took a family vacation up in Moosonee, stayed at Tidewater Provincial Park. One day we paid one of the local water taxi guys to take us fishing a few kilometres up the river, in one of those big James Bay freighter canoes. Just started to hook into some nice fish when the sky suddenly turned black. Ok, pack up the gear and scream as fast as we could back to town - looked up and saw a funnel cloud starting directly above the canoe. Fortunately it didn't develop past a small spike, but then the hail started. Our guide gunned it for an island in the river and we hit the beach like a military assault. He got the wife and kids under a tarp that he wedged into some tree roots coming out of an embankment about 2 metres high, while I was jumping on the anchor to make sure it was driven securely into the gravel. After it let up a bit we got back, and had him drop us off in town, where we got a hotel room instead of going back to the campsite. Talked to some locals in a restaurant that night and they told us that it was the worst storm they could ever remember, and that there were reliable reports of tornadoes touching down in the muskeg west of town.