Blown fuse on trailer

Handlebarz

Hey all I have been blowing fuses on my direct wire for my trailer. The wire on the dodge journey was a Reese plug in style "fool proof" and we had to run a direct wire to the battery.

The trailer has all led lights so it should not be over loaded I'm thinking.

It has blown a 15A and a 20A

Any ideas what to look for? I'm heading to Toronto tomorrow

Hey all I have been blowing fuses on my direct wire for my trailer. The wire on the dodge journey was a Reese plug in style "fool proof" and we had to run a direct wire to the battery.

The trailer has all led lights so it should not be over loaded I'm thinking.

It has blown a 15A and a 20A

Any ideas what to look for? I'm heading to Toronto tomorrow

Clue me in, what's a "direct wire"? To provide 12 inside the trailer from the car battery? Like Ohio said, most likely a frayed wire somewhere.

You guys are thinking like I am has to be a bare wire somewhere that will move and short out. I will be doing a complete rewiring of the trailer. The direct wire has a fuse in it we ran it direct from the battery it has very thick outer layer I'm sure that some of the old wire might have a chafe in it was just asking as this was the first time with Led lights on a car and trailer.

Ok - makes sense now. In line fuse was blowing. I've done the same thing as you are doing. If I can't find the faulty wire in an older wiring set up - I remove all the old wiring - install brand new wiring. Much quicker & less head aches! While you're at it - install wire loom over the new wires, saves the new wire from the elements.

If this fuse blows as soon as it is installed; here's one way of chasing it down without going through a pile of fuses. Get one of those cheap 12V test lights. testlight4.gif

Remove the blown fuse and connect the test light across the two fuse terminals. You'll need to insert something like a paper clip into the fuse terminal making it easier to connect the test light.

41FDVjEJFNL.jpg

If the short to ground; that's blowing the fuse is there, the test light will light. As you start to work on the wiring harness and the light goes out, you'll be close to where the short to ground is.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

first thing is to get that direct wire off the battery.What you have is a dead short.Power to ground.With the direct wire to your battery,when the short occurs you could burn everything down.

The short will try to draw every amp from the battery.