house boat fishing

viper

Greetings Gents, ladies too (of course). i am looking to plan a fishing trip for the family. Are there any lakes that offer houseboats and good fishing. We want to avoid the Kawarthas...from my younger days, i recall 3 Bouys and the craziness of guys bringing these houseboats into the locks, yikes. If you know of a place that offers good fishing with houseboat within 6 hr of GTA, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any advice

well, who would have thought...3 Buoys is on Temagami. I guess the best time for action is late spring...mid June up there. I am going to do some research, but if there are others, that would be great to know.

I was up there last year on May 24 weekend.

Ice was barely out & fishing was slow. By mid June things should pick up.

I stayed at Ket-Chun-Eny Lodge on Temagami a few years ago and they had houseboats for rent. Had a chance to go into one just to check it out and was surprised at how roomy it was. The boats were far from being new; but looked too be well maintained. The upper sundeck had a slide and the kids looked like they were having a blast going down it into the lake.

Here's a link to their rate page.

http://www.ketchunenylodge.com/rates.html

Dan.

Greetings Gents, ladies too (of course). i am looking to plan a fishing trip for the family. Are there any lakes that offer houseboats and good fishing. We want to avoid the Kawarthas...from my younger days, i recall 3 Bouys and the craziness of guys bringing these houseboats into the locks, yikes. If you know of a place that offers good fishing with houseboat within 6 hr of GTA, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any advice

If you are willing to travel a couple hours more then check out Biscotasing sportsmans lodge. Decent houseboats and fishing.

Not sure if he even operated last year DanD...

There are other choices on the lake for rentals as well, but none with as easy access for your coming and going as either Lakeland Airways\3buoys and Leisure Island Houseboats both right in town (and not down 10 miles of dusty road and then a lake crossing like all the others). Depends if you want a big "party" boat, or just a "cabin" on floats.

Also if you do want to go you'd better start thinking about getting your reservation in. While things had been slow in the past few years, last year all their boats were out every week. Lakeland only has 7. With the dollar at 80 cents they may be back to full capacity again with the added US travellers, so don't wait too long and leave yourself disappointed.

Either way you want to be towing a small boat for your fishing... and to help with your night time shore tie offs.

lots of good advice, thanks for sure. i plan on bringing a canoe so good call on tieing off the boat...esp if windy at night. Kuha...that was one i never saw when i googled houseboat. that might work....a smallish lake without a lot of other boats, and the fishing looks like it'll keep the wife and daughter busy so they wont be yapping and complaining, lol.

lots of good advice, thanks for sure. i plan on bringing a canoe so good call on tieing off the boat...esp if windy at night. Kuha...that was one i never saw when i googled houseboat. that might work....a smallish lake without a lot of other boats, and the fishing looks like it'll keep the wife and daughter busy so they wont be yapping and complaining, lol.

BIsco is anything but small although boat traffic won't be a lot.

we were thinking of doing a similar thing one day. I've got a dumb question though - how does bringing a small boat help with tie off's ( i can figure out the help with fishing part) ?

Edited by Rob V

We did the Kawarthan House Boat thing 3 times......Three Bouys boats were GREAT boats back in the day. Second time went with Egan House Boats........DON'T is all I'll say about them. The last time a couple of years ago we used Happy Days House Boats.......GREAT company to deal with....HONEST and I highly recommend them.

I would also highly recommend the Kawarthans over other areas because it has so MANY options to do....lakes to fish and town and locks to visit. Never had a problem problem in the locks and I'll bet the fishing is better then Temagami.

The first two times we took a another boat towed behind the house boat...no problem whatsoever doing that. About a 30' long rope to tow it and then just tie it off to the back, front or side of the house boat at the locks.

ha! I am just concerned about Temagami, I have never fished it so I cant say with experience, but with the research I have read, it seems very spotty. I just don't want to spend all the time to get there, the excitement from the wife and kids, and then have a disappointing time where all we do is wash lures, and nadda. the idea of a smaller lake with fish for the frying pan, not necessarily for the photo book, works for me. The pics I will cherish are the happy smiles