Gps for Sled

Dan668

Looking to add a gps for my sled, not sure if i really need it. Good insurance if it's white out on the lake. Used my phone this past weekend which was ok, but a permanent unit would be easier. Having trail maps will be another plus although i only occasionally ride them. Any recommendations on a unit? I think i may just try to get away with an auto unit. One thing im not sure of, will it show my track log of a trip on the lake? Considering there are no maps of the lakes itself.

Thanks.

I have an Oregon garmin with background topo maps loaded as well as ofsc snowmobile trails for all of Ontario on it !!!! Works great there is many options for this or you can carry it in your pocket or if you have a sled like mine I have a 12volt uh on adapter I can charge my phone or GPS while riding my sled ,,, you can also wire it to your ignition so that when the key is off your battery won't go dead !!! But it's a small unit and does the job well just use go to the garmin GPS site they have all the mounts and what you need lots of sledders run them

I'd go with a Garmin touch screen. They are easy to use, and you can get excellent maps for free, there is a freeware called IBYCUS, and those maps are all you need. It's nice to be able to see different points on the map around the lake when your in a whiteout. I have a garmin Dakota 20 and it's excellent, but I mainly use it for hunting and as a backup to the GPS on my sonar. The screen is a bit small for dedicated use on the handlebars in my mind. I'd definately look at the Oregon series if you can swing it. That would be pretty much perfect

My apologies mine is a garmin Dakota as well touch screen too !!!! I realized it when I seen your post !!! Like I said great unit small it's color screen as well and really accurate think it was around $300 about 4yrs ago and it's exposed on my sled and lots of -20 to -30 rides on it and it appears to be bullettproof so far !!!!

I have the garmin Montana 600 which I use on my ATV, 10,000 k in the last 3 years without a problem !!! I bought the back roads maps for it as it lists both the snow and atv trails.The best feature is that the screen is readable in direct bright sunlite even with sun glasses on (Polaroid).It floats and is waterproof.

vance