Help Please

Clampet

I'm not sure where I got this one from (some cooking show most likely)

Hope this helps.

1 cedar plank (6 by 14 inches)

2 salmon fillets (1 1/2 pounds total)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

6 tablespoons Dijon mustard

6 tablespoons brown sugar

Soak cedar plank in salted water for 2 hours, then drain. Remove skin from salmon fillet. Remove any remaining bones. Rinse the salmon under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Generously season the salmon with salt and pepper on both sides. Lay the salmon (on what was skin-side down) on the cedar plank and carefully spread the mustard over the top and sides. Place the brown sugar in a bowl and crumble between your fingers, then sprinkle over the mustard.

Set grill for indirect grilling and heat to medium-high. Place the cedar plank in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook until cooked through, around 20 to 30 minutes. The internal temperature should read 135 degrees F. Transfer the salmon and plank to a platter and serve right off the plank.

Cook's Note: A direct method to grill the salmon may be used. Soak the cedar plank well. Spread the mustard and brown sugar on the salmon, but do not place the fish on the plank. Set up the grill for direct grilling on medium-high. When ready to cook, place the plank on the hot grate and leave it until there is a smell of smoke, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the plank over and place the fish on top. Cover the grill and cook until the fish is cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 135 degrees F. Check the plank occasionally. If the edges start to catch fire, mist with water, or move the plank to a cooler part of the grill.

Edited by Big Cliff

This is from Ted Reader's book, the art of Plank Grilling.

(Book available at the Real Cdn Super Store, and comes with your first plank) 25 % off

"SOAK'EM

Soak plank in water or flavour/water liquid combination for a minimum 1 hour, weighing plank so it remains submerged. For best flaour and smoke results, I recommend 4 hours maximum.

SMOKE 'EM

Pre-heat grill to desired temperature with grill lid closed.

Pre-heat plank on gril 3-5 minutes until it begins to crackle and smoke

Season plank with coarse sea salt, herbs or planking spice* if desired (you don't have season the planks, and you don't have to pre-heat the planks,but both steps make for better planking results)

1. place food on plank

2.close grill lid

3. smoke'em up

no flipping the food, no poking the food, keep peaking to a minimum. Be careful handling hot planks and food

Season salmon or other meat to your liking with a home made rub or store bought.

Cook salmon 12-15 minutes, until cooked to medium doneness or when salmon flakes slightly when pressed with a fork.

EAT 'EM UP

Remove planks from hot grill and set hot plank on presoaked raw plank. Transfer food to serving plates or platters. Discarge hot plank ina bucket of cold water and allow to fully cool while you enjoy."

You can buy Ted Reader's spice blend at most Cdn Tire stores. or if you are adventurious you can make your own. I made my own and excellent on ribs.

*Bone Dust Rub:

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup chilli powder

3 TBSP salt

2 TBSP ground coriander

2 TBSP garlic powder

2 TBSP granulated white sugar

2 TBSP mild curry powder

2 TBSP dry hot mustard powder

1 TBSP fresh ground black pepper

1 TBSP dried basil

1 TBSP dried thyme

1 TBSP ground cumin

1 TBSP cayenne pepper.

*Planking Spice:

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/4 cup coarsely ground pepper

1/4 cup Kosher or coarse sea salt

2 TBSP mustard seeds cracked

1 TBSP dill weed

1 TBSP dill seed

1 TBSP coriander seed

1 TBSP lemon pepper seasoning

3 TBSP granulated onion

2 tsp granulated garlic

This planking spice can be used for any thing you are planking."

Enjoy,

John

I've done it many times. First and foremost, have a bottle of water handy at all times. The board catches on fire quite often and you need to put it out. All I did was marinate the salmon in a marinade made specifically for salmon I bought at Loblaws (the name escapes me).

Put the salmon on the plank, keep pouring water over as you cook and when it flakes in the middle, she's done.

Joey

Another one (not mine )

Red cedar planks. Loblaws use to sell them (sea food section) but I'm not sure if they still do, a friend gave me about a dozen of them last year, those were the last two.

Soak the cedar planks in water for a few hours prior to using them. Sprinkle with coarse pickling or sea salt place the fish on them.

Cream about 1/2 a cup of butter, add two small challots finely chopped, two cloves of garlic crushed (or finely chopped), and two tablespoons of finely chopped parsley. Let this sit at rom temp. for about an hour.

Baste the fish with the butter mixture, add some thinly sliced red onion, top with thin slices of lemon, cook on medium until the fish just flakes nicely (do not over cook).

I had some cedar planked salmon the other day. The key to ensuring the cedar does not burn is to soak it overnight and to use medium low heat on your barbecue. I find that soaking the plank for a couple of hours is not enough.

Bill

Hey Clampet,

Here is the recipe that we did last week:

Cedar-Planked Salmon

Ingredients

1 2-pound salmon fillet, skin on

1 cedar plank, soaked in water 20 minutes

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Preparation

Preheat a gas grill to high; adjust to medium low after 15 minutes. (If cooking over charcoal, allow the coals to burn until they are covered with white ash.) Place the salmon skin-side down on the cedar plank.

Combine the brown sugar, oil, thyme, and cayenne in a bowl. Spread over the salmon. Place the planked salmon on the grilling grate and cook, with grill covered, about 40 minutes or just until the surface fat begins to turn white.

Rainy-Day Method: Preheat oven to 325° F. Prepare the salmon as described above, then roast on the cedar plank for about 25 minutes.

Yield

Makes 4 servings

Nutritional Information

CALORIES 550(1% from fat); FAT 32g (sat 5g); PROTEIN 45mg; CHOLESTEROL 134mg; CALCIUM 63mg; SODIUM 142mg; FIBER 1g; CARBOHYDRATE 19g; IRON 3mg

Jane Kirby , Real Simple, JUNE 2003

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefi...ecipe_id=635603