cooking thread...

Spiel, if you have the time could you post the recipe, never tried it but sure the family would enjoy trying something different

I fly by the seat of my pants John, nothing measured or weighed so it'd be hard to say exactly what I did.

I fly by the seat of my pants John, nothing measured or weighed so it'd be hard to say exactly what I did.

Your recipe might look a bit like this one of mine, which I note does NOT include celery, even though I always put in a few ribs!

DOCTOR DOUG’S CREAM OF CAULIFLOWER SOUP

3 tbsp margarine or butter

1-2 large sweet onions, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed

900 ml Campbell’s Chicken Broth (tetra pack container)

1-2 heads of cauliflower, chopped (1 very large head, or 2 small to medium heads)

1 cup milk or 5% cream

1 tsp seasoned salt

½ tsp ground black pepper

¼ tsp fresh ground nutmeg

(shredded cheese for garnish)

In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt margarine or butter, stir in onions and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in cauliflower, cover, reduce heat and simmer until everything is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat.

Puree, either with an immersion blender in the pot, or (after cooling) in batches in a food processor/blender. Return to low heat, stir in the remaining ingredients, and heat to hot but NOT boiling.

The original recipe calls for bowls to be served garnished with parsley. I never did try that – I use shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Most people will also wish to add more freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!

Doug

Edited by akaShag

A big ass casserole dish of scalloped potatoes is in the oven.

Next to that some Pelee Island Pheasants brined for over 30 hours and then an over night chilling brine free before bacon wrapped and oven inserted. Dinner is almost table ready!

12654110_1561601280767267_67964400936104

12631337_1561636650763730_45270347107094

Your recipe might look a bit like this one of mine, which I note does NOT include celery, even though I always put in a few ribs!

4 cloves garlic, minced

1-2 heads of cauliflower, chopped (1 very large head, or 2 small to medium heads)

1 cup milk or 5% cream

1 tsp seasoned salt

In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt margarine or butter, stir in onions and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in cauliflower, cover, reduce heat and simmer until everything is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat.

Puree, either with an immersion blender in the pot, or (after cooling) in batches in a food processor/blender. Return to low heat, stir in the remaining ingredients, and heat to hot but NOT boiling.

The original recipe calls for bowls to be served garnished with parsley. I never did try that – I use shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Most people will also wish to add more freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!

Doug

It's very similar Doug. ;)

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup milk or 5% cream

1 tsp seasoned salt

Doug

Thx for taking the time to post, definite recipe to try :clapping:

Tonight's main was a venison meat loaf with fennel.

I had been thinking I should give fennel a try..............but as it is a new-to-me spice I really had no idea of quantity.

I can say with authority that a half-teaspoon of fennel is TOO MUCH for a one pound meatloaf. :whistling:

Now my next job is to pressure can the honkin' big pot of split pea soup with ham that is on the stove. My canner (the one that fits on the stove, not the BIG one) takes seven one-litre jars and I think I have about ten litres in the pot. But not a lot of freezer space unless I plug in freezer #4 which I would prefer not to do! And if the electricity goes out, I have my canned stuff! :canadian:

Doug

Lakers here tonight! Thanks pop!

Bonus, everyone hates lakers but me and my mom

Crazy, the kids go bonkers over smoked sturgeon but dont like trout????

Thats because they havent eaten NWT trout caught by my wife, they would be convertided, :angel: , I would not eat geasers down south but these ohlala :clapping:

Tonight's main was a venison meat loaf with fennel.

I had been thinking I should give fennel a try..............but as it is a new-to-me spice I really had no idea of quantity.

I can say with authority that a half-teaspoon of fennel is TOO MUCH for a one pound meatloaf. :whistling:

Now my next job is to pressure can the honkin' big pot of split pea soup with ham that is on the stove. My canner (the one that fits on the stove, not the BIG one) takes seven one-litre jars and I think I have about ten litres in the pot. But not a lot of freezer space unless I plug in freezer #4 which I would prefer not to do! And if the electricity goes out, I have my canned stuff! :canadian:

Doug

My wife luuuuvvves split pea soup, just saying :whistling:

Lakers here tonight! Thanks pop!

Bonus, everyone hates lakers but me and my mom

Crazy, the kids go bonkers over smoked sturgeon but dont like trout????

I will can some for you when I see you in August. And if you have a smoker, I will can some smoked lake trout.

Unless you do not WANT to share!

Doug

grilled strip with parclied garlic butter and red wine deglazed mushrooms and onions,crispy thyme scalloped potatoes and foiled parmesan asparagus004_zpsaf0iv76f.jpg

FABULOUS!!!!!

It makes my mouth water, and I ate not that long ago.................

Doug

grilled strip with parclied garlic butter and red wine deglazed mushrooms and onions,crispy thyme scalloped potatoes and foiled parmesan asparagus004_zpsaf0iv76f.jpg

Darkwater you have come in like a lion :clapping:

That looks ALMOST to good to eat, almost, my wife says the presentation looks like a Picasoe Personally I just like the steak, taters, mushrooms, asparagus, parclied butter and onions :tease: