Issues getting Water Heater replaced - NF

hutch4113

Wondering if anyone can assist, or direct me the right location.

The basics - we just finished our basement. Did it the right way, which involved a building permit, inspections, etc. Part of the discussion implemented by US was what to do with the Water Heater and Furnace, as we wanted to enclose them, adjacent to where the bathroom would be. For the Furnace, we replaced with a Direct Vent - and for both replaced the black PVC with White PVC.

The enclousure for these units does open to the Bathroom, via a set of sliding doors. This was all documented on our building drawings, permits, and inspected.

Fast forward a year after this all being done, the Original Power Vented tank is leaking. So I called Reliance for a support call, and replacement. Technician arrives, and after taking a look says the PV unit must be replaced with a Direct Vent as per "Code" - which of course requires opening up ceilings/walls in our newly finished bathroom.

Saying "No" I went to Lowes and purchased a new Tank, and their install service. Technician arrived today - and pretty much said the same thing (though he seems to be more competent - thinks he can do it without damaging anything).

What I don't understand is how we went through 3 inspections - from Studs to finished product - made the necessary changes to our HVAC - and somehow I cannot get a tech to just replace the PV Water Tank, which passed inspection.

What I think the issue is - is with understanding this part of Gas Code:

"7.26.1 A water heater, unless of the direct-vent type, shall not be installed in a bathroom,
bedroom, or any enclosure where sleeping accommodation is provided."

That is what I have seen quoted on some Gas sites - just the one line above. However ->

"A power vent water heater may be installed in an enclosure adjacent to a bedroom or
bathroom provided adequate combustion air per clause 8.2.6 is provided to the enclosure.

This combustion air supply shall not be supplied from the bedroom or bathroom.
A natural draft water heater may be installed in an enclosure that is accessed by a pedestrian
door which can be opened from a bathroom or bedroom, provided that the enclosure has a
volume equal to or greater than the bathroom or bedroom."

Looking online (tssa.org) there is more to it (the above second set of qutoes) - and from my understanding a Power Vent is fine, as long as there is enough Combustion Air. Since the Furnace is Direct Vent - it does not factor into BTU calculations for the space.

More frustrated than anything - we did all the right things - asked the right questions - and did all the necessary hard stuff before putting walls up, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Thoughts/Comments?

TSSA has amended this code several times, not sure where they stand as of today, but a year ago a power vent or natural vent needed to be accessed through a hallway door. If it is combustion air they are concerned about an air grill could be cut out in the wall , and a return air grill put in.

That was one of my thoughts, as I can install a grill, that opens out into a different room. Right now I am not sure if it is combustion air that is the problem or not - neither technician could tell me why - other than it is against code....that makes me wonder.

Sorry I can't give you any help being Canada has different codes than US. The issue you describe is that the make up air is not from an exterior source. The different between the furnace and the heater is the furnace will have 2 pipes on for combustion air the other is exhaust. The solution according to US codes is an exterior source of combustion air that is not drawing from X distance from windows doors in the house.

Hope this helps.

Art

Is there a door that goes to a hallway for access to the furnace/water heater room ?

There is a door, that opens into the Bathroom. It is a sliding door - open it one way, gives access to the Furnace. Open the other way, it is the Water Heater. Both doors stay closed when in general operation - only opened when maintenance is required, etc.

I believe Reliance has actually been sued by at least one insurance company for failure to properly service their equipment.

Is it propane or NG? If it is propane I would contact your propane supplier, we have a similar setup to what you describe and had no issues getting it hooked up by our propane supplier.

Sorry I can't give you any help being Canada has different codes than US. The issue you describe is that the make up air is not from an exterior source. The different between the furnace and the heater is the furnace will have 2 pipes on for combustion air the other is exhaust. The solution according to US codes is an exterior source of combustion air that is not drawing from X distance from windows doors in the house.

Hope this helps.

Art

That is what I think might be the issue - from what I can tell though, the "room" that houses the Furnace/Water Heater is large enough, and has enough combustion air to support the Water Heater.

I believe Reliance has actually been sued by at least one insurance company for failure to properly service their equipment.

Is it propane or NG? If it is propane I would contact your propane supplier, we have a similar setup to what you describe and had no issues getting it hooked up by our propane supplier.

Ya....The more I read, the more I see Reliance does not have a great track record. Never picked them - but when we bought the house, that is who the tank was rented from (had no idea that is how it worked - first home and all...lol).

It is Natural Gas.

The power vent series needs make up air for two conditions one is the combustion process which is not as large as the power vent that uses the air in the room to cool the combustion so it can be piped out in PVC/ ABS. If there is not sufficient air there is an issue of the flue pipe overheating.

Art