GAS GAUGE ISSUES

davew3

Good morning in my 88 Smokercraft with an in floor gas tank I seem to be having fuel reading issues. When traveling my gauge reads full, even when it's not. When I stop the needle then moves to show me what I really have.

Would this indicate that the fuel gauge is shot, or can it be adjusted? This is my first boat with the inboard fuel tank.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards

This happens with a lot of boats.

You most likely have have a tank that runs front to back and not side to side.

Because of this when running the fuel runs to the rear of the tank and shows full but at trolling speed or stopped it shows the correct level.

It is pretty normal as it seems most manufacturers run their tanks lengthwise.

My tank ran side to side under the back splashwell, even so the only place I would trust the guage was sitting still on the trailer , level, in the driveway. I could probably guesstimate how much was left if I started full more reliably than using the guage on the water.

I am thinking it is a front to back gas tank as well.

I filled it to the very top once and now I am wondering if it is stuck there. Has this happened to anyone else?

I guess I will keep an eye on it while out trolling on the BOQ this weekend.

Boat tanks dont have or have far less baffling in them than car tanks so the fuel moves around pretty good in them. When the boats rises out of the water or gets bow high the fuel will run to the back of the tank, I'm guesing this is where the sender and gauge sit. My gauge does the same thing, never trust it to read acurate. Mine tells me I am empty and I still have 1/4 tank left. Its a rough idea at best!