Braid suggestions.

limeyangler

just feeling the power of salt water fish is awesome...and you certainly lose more fish vs fresh water, just the nature of the game

what rod and lures do you plan on using? I just don't like using too heavy braid on a spinning reel, but if you feel it's appropriate, go for it....post some pics of this trip, sounds friggin awesome

cheers

Edited by bare foot wader

I "think" you are quite a knowledgable, experienced, seasoned, and always maturing multi-species fisherman.

I also "think" I am one jealous dood and can't wait for this trip report! Enjoy your trip. The countdown continues...

(don't forget wire)

Wire you say..hmmmmm….hadn't thought of that….lol.

just feeling the power of salt water fish is awesome...and you certainly lose more fish vs fresh water, just the nature of the game

what rod and lures do you plan on using? I just don't like using too heavy braid on a spinning reel, but if you feel it's appropriate, go for it....post some pics of this trip, sounds friggin awesome

cheers

Absolutely.

I will be taking a 6'6" Shimano Clarus medium heavy, fast action and two ugly stick light spin, one 6' and one 9'. I might go as heavy as 80lb I think, but i'm taking an assortment of breaking strengths on spare spools. Tarpon guy is recommending my Clarus with 20lb - 30lb braid with a nice 30-50lb flour leader.

"I was float tubing for tarpon....." has got to be the start of an interesting, possibly epic story. Have fun!

I certainly hope so!

I use Berkley Crystal. Braid made for spinning reels.

No experience with that heavy stuff though.

Flouro "leader Material" for leader. Tougher than reg. fluoro line

I am also a fan of fireline, both regular smoke and the new Crystal. Will definitely be taking the advice about the leader material.

I've been to Cape Cod 3 times fishing mostly Stripe Bass but the Ditch has every species.

The setups I've bought are 10ft St Croix Mojo surf 1oz - 3oz and a 5500 Shimano Ultergure long cast reel. 30lb braid with 50lb big game leader. This outfit is use casting 8 inch wooden plugs and 2-4oz bucktails.

The other is a 9 ft Tica 1-3 oz river rod with a 5500 Penn Spinning reel use mostly for casting spoons and bottom fishing cutbait. Again 30lb braid and 50 lb big game leaders.

Both of these setups are surf models so very long butt section would make them impossible for boat or yak fishing.

I've bought 3-4 other setups from BPS that I've returned. Anything less than the 5500 series reels just don't cut it. If you take a boat rod to the beach you just cant get the distance so you are kind of in a bind.

I talked to many surf guys and 20- 30lb braid main line is about middle of road.

These outfits are compromise for the amount of time I can surf fish. 1-2 weeks per year and the price I'm willing to pay.

Both setups about 1k.

The stuff I would like to fish. 7000 series Van Stal reel $1400 only has 5 moving parts and another 7-800 for 12ft Lamaglas surf. Still would run 30lb braid.

Diawa has a spinning reel with a 60lb drag only available from Japan. Suitable to Wicked Tuna fish with spinning. 4k. I made a few cast with one but didn't get to test the drag.