Float Rod Choices

Sharkbait22

Getting to be time for a new float rod for steelhead. I can use my old one as a backup or a loaner. Not into flash and beauty but functionality. Quality cork and good components. ~13ft, sliding rings are fine. Are recoil guides the way to go? Seems like a good idea. Prefer stock rods with good warranty - under the assumption that custom rods are more difficult to get repaired and at no cost. Price is not too much of an issue as long as the warranty is solid. Any suggestions?

Really wish they made more 4 piece rods for easy travel e.g., back packing and planes. The only one I've found is a Shimano Clarus CSS130ML4B 13ft 4pc IM-8 but at ~$100 mark I wonder how good it can be.

Echo makes a 13' 4pce float rod. The current model is based on one of their spey blanks but they are working on designing a new cp specific rod.

The clarus rod isn't really that bad at all. A buddy of mine brought one to Alaska this year and it worked fine.

StCroix float rods are very good and have a great warranty.

Of course there is always Loomis as well.

Well maybe I'll hold off and see what Echo does. Always been a fan of St Croix. The first rod I made was a Loomis 5wt fly rod in 1994 - still have it and that's the only one from Loomis I have [edit] my current float rod is a Loomis Frontier. Nothing wrong with the rod. Loomis is now Shimano? Wonder what their warranty is like. Picked up a GLX (I think) at Fishing World a few years ago and it was sweeet! For the price of the Clarus you really can't go wrong though.

Thanks for the info Drifter. Are you planning on posting some pics from Alaska?

Edited by Sharkbait22

Well we you look at that. http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_category_details.php?category_id=28&page_id=60&product_type=1

So are there further changes to come with this rod? At 8-12lbs test that's pretty beefy. Prefer 4-8lbs. Most of my fishing is in the upper Great Lakes with smaller fish.

Edited by Sharkbait22

If you would like a custom that doesn't break the bank, has a lifetime replacement warranty, and an excellent action, consider a mudhole MHX blank. Excellent blank, cheap like borscht and one of the few times that the words good and cheap can truly be used in the same sentence! Yes in reality you'd need to have a broken section retied, but truthfully I have seen very few rods break that weren't factory defects, or angler abuse!

Streamside as many have suggested, also Raven as well, both have good warranties, if you dont mind rings, the 1563 GLX has power and is a nice rod, cork is thin, to accomidate the rings, so if you have a big mit, that might not be a chioice, also for some stupid reason there is NO hook keeper, to buy new is expensive, and over priced IMO, but on steelhead forms i have seen them for between 300 to 400 depending on condition, but you can also buy a custom Batson XST as Bill mentioned for that price.