Need Atv

luv2drift

Hi everyone need to start a little debate! I need to get a four wheeler. What's the best bang for the buck? Honda or Polaris...or others?

Do you go new and make payments or do you get one used for like 4000 g's.

What do you stay away from ... what's a must have.

The primary purpose will be ice fishing on Simcoe and the cheaper the better!

For me Honda.My boat motor is a Honda and my minivan is a Honda .Honda keeps you away from the Garage.I bought my Van 5 years old so far it just goes in for regular maitenance.I just sold a 24 year old Honda 7.5 horse power outboard.The only reason I sold it because it had along foot and would drag in the water on my new boat.Never had problems with it.Polaris will do the job for what you want to do but Honda will give you more reliability. More time fishin.I have some friends who said they would never buy a polaris again.Honda the largest manufacturer of Motors in the world.Good Luck :thumbsup_anim:

Hey Mike ( how are you ) - I have a Polaris 500 and have never had a problem with it ( so far ). I even pulled a couple of Hondas out that were stuck in the snow. I also know 2 other people with Polaris Atv's and love them - one of the reasons that I bought Polaris.

I can't speak for Hondas but I know that Polaris parts are easily available and reasonable. Try to buy Artic Cat parts - eeverything seems to be a 2 week special order item.

Don

Oh - and my Polaris pulled my boat out of the back yard like nothing - My ford F-150 couldn't budge it!

Don

First thing to remember is they all make lemons.......I've owned my Polaris since '99 and it's had its issuses,but I'd buy another in a heart beat.......power, ground clerance and all round ride are all factors......one year at temagami we were there with different sleds and bikes,with it being 50 below the night before, nothing would start in the morning no Chevy's,Ford's ,Honda's or Bombadiers,but 2 pulls on my Polaris and away I went.......my buddies Honda with electic shift was froze for 2 days.....needlas to say ,he flogged it as soon as we got home......To each his own ......but mine is ........POLARIS..........Chuck......

and we will not talk about my honda(that I got rid of)

ok maybe I will

it didn't like the cold and as it turned out the carbs were known to suck some air in cold weather and frost would form ..then you couldn't go faster then 6 kph...then I would miss a M&G......but now my new and improved Yamaha 660 will get me there and back....

well i have a honda 450 es and I just went through the same questions you did.. there is a post a couple weeks back..... I went with honda since they are SUPPOSED to be the most reliable.... We will see :)

I also have Electric Shift on my atv .... hope i dont have the problems listed above !!

well lets be honest you can and will have problems with every make and have some people swear by one make and hate others, I think it has more to do with....was it made on a Friday afternoon......that will bugger up the best of machines.......

some do work better in the mud others in snow, some in warm weather , others in cold......it's a crap shoot...so roll the dice and good luck

I own a 1998 Honda Forman 450ES also and use it a min. of 4 days a week for my hut rentals operation. Yes I have had problems with the ES but only in extreme cold conditions and the problem was with the battery. Honda thought this out and the bike has a backup manual shifter just in case. The key to using any ATV on the ice is traction, a set of chains is a must have. If you are fishing where the snow is deeper, ground clearance can be a problem. A freind has a 650 Cat and he can go through deeper snow than I can. I am sure that all makes & models have their + & - but the end result for me when I baught my honda was resale value. Yes they are a little more $ at the start but in the long run you won't regret it.

I own a 1998 Honda Forman 450ES also and use it a min. of 4 days a week for my hut rentals operation. Yes I have had problems with the ES but only in extreme cold conditions and the problem was with the battery. Honda thought this out and the bike has a backup manual shifter just in case. The key to using any ATV on the ice is traction, a set of chains is a must have. If you are fishing where the snow is deeper, ground clearance can be a problem. A freind has a 650 Cat and he can go through deeper snow than I can. I am sure that all makes & models have their + & - but the end result for me when I baught my honda was resale value. Yes they are a little more $ at the start but in the long run you won't regret it.

did you purchase a emergengy manual shifter ? if not what did you use if the ES stopped working ?

how many km on your atv ?

I have a 2000 Polaris Magnum 325, and the previous owner did not baby it, lol. It has a low range, and works fabulously. It has a variable transmission drive belt system, but with a driveshavt to the rear and front, and a manual shifter. Pretty bare bones really, only a couple of indicator lights to tell you if you are in neutral or not. Only goes about 70 kmh flat out, but I don't need to go any faster.

My bud bought a 2006 Yamaha Bruin and its works equally as well, but I have more control with the low range in certain situations.

You will find pros and cons with all manufacturers, as well as differing opinions from people who have used them successfully or not.

Mine is mainly for use in spring,summer,fall, and early ice. Then the snowmobile comes out to play and the ATV is stowed. Too much snow is hard on mine, the larger cc ones might have less trouble in deeper snow.

I have not tested it to the extreme though, I use it as a tool to get into where I want to go, not for sport riding. I will avoid sketchy looking spots, haven't had to use the winch yet.

Mine is perfect for what I need it for.

my yamaha also has low range

2 wheel drive

4 wheel drive

and 4 wheel drive locking diff

Yeah, that low range is fantastic, isn't it Terry. My buds Bruin does not have it, and he spun his way up a steep hill spewing rocks and gravel out the back. I crawled up effortlessly. Last time out, we went into an area hunting that they took a bridge out from, and put a 3 ft. high berm of sand on the other side. We skirted it on the ride in, sidehilling on a 45 degree angle walking the machines around it, lol.

On the way back out, I went directly over the berm in 4 low. Should have done it in high range, as I backed off the throttle on the downward decent, and with my belt drive, it stopped on a dime on a 45 degree down angle, and I almost went ass over teakettle over the front handlebars, lol. I didn't even have my hand on the brake.

Don't know how I managed to stay on the machine.

Same here on the 2 and 4 wheel drive selection. But not the locking diff. When I turn the 4 wheel drive on, it does not activate unless it feels the rear wheels spin, so it automatically turns on and off during a ride when needed. Has never failed on me yet, and is quick activating. But like I said, I don't test my machine in extreme situations. I like to be able to get where I am going, and back out again, without any hassles.

arctic at is 4 wheel drive automatic and has pulled yamahas , hondas , suzuki out of mud holes as well as trees fallen over on road to camp off road , very effecient bike, also we use it to transport the dogs for our deer hunting with a cage built to the front racks of the bike looks wild with the dogs howling going down the rd to the next hunt spot

did you purchase a emergengy manual shifter ? if not what did you use if the ES stopped working ?

hey you should have the manual shifter in your rear tool box..either in the back kit or just lying in the box, it is a must have and got me out of quite alot of situations in winter