Lawn mowing on slope -engine not happy :(

captpierre

At the cottage I have a significant slope to the front lawn down to the lake.

Been mowing it horizontally with same mower 4 seasons.

My Briggs and Statton 4.5 hp push mower is not running well.

No choke. Speed not adjustable. Push pump button to start.

Starts right away. But runs a bit ruff and rpms fluctuate when change direction.

Put some old gas in it earlier in season that may have started the problem.

Tried Seafoam. Checked plug. lots of soot on it. Cleaned it up. No change in performance.

Is it ok to run a mower horizontally on a slope? Any suggestions?

Thanks. Peter

Depends how the carb is set up, but most are set up for up and down for obvious safety reasons.

Might just need a simple carb air/fuel adjustment. I'd douce it with some seafoam and then adjust the idle screw on a flat surface after it's warmed up. The best to do is adjust while it's under load but that's difficult to do with a lawnmower obviously.

At the cottage I have a significant slope to the front lawn down to the lake.

Been mowing it horizontally with same mower 4 seasons.

My Briggs and Statton 4.5 hp push mower is not running well.

No choke. Speed not adjustable. Push pump button to start.

Starts right away. But runs a bit ruff and rpms fluctuate when change direction.

Put some old gas in it earlier in season that may have started the problem.

Tried Seafoam. Checked plug. lots of soot on it. Cleaned it up. No change in performance.

Is it ok to run a mower horizontally on a slope? Any suggestions?

Thanks. Peter

Peter. Seafoam in some cases doesn't produce instant results. Once introduce into the floatbowl of the carburetor it may take some time to actually dissolve any buildup.

Try a couple of cap fulls of Methyl Hydrate (gasline antifreeze) directily into the fuel tank. You may well have a build up of condensation that has settled in the bottom of the float bowl. When changing direction you are effectively altering the float level by tilting the mower. Possibly introducing water into the fuel mixture. Methyl Hydrate will remove any water that may be present.

Hope this helps.

2 strokes are fine on a slope , 4 strokes not so much. I understand that it is best to go up and down rather than across the face of a slope with a 4 stroke.

Four strokes have oil in the crankcase. Small engines have no oil pump. They rely on a dipper that literally splashes the oil to the areas requiring lubrication. Running them on a slant can result in poor lubrication.

Angles alter the oil level decreasing the effectiveness of the dipper. If the oil level is properly maintained(safe level) there is no cause for concern. An improper oil level will result in poor lubrication. This can cause premature wear or a seized engine.

Ive personally blown up a 4 stroke mower on a slope. You get oil starvation and the engine seizes. If you have a 2 stroke its no problem. I would suggest investing in a good weed whacker... I personally have a really severe slope on side of my house, I spent many years cutting grass for a living and learned that when it comes to weed whackers, Stihl or no deal. Nothing can compete with them.

Edited by AKRISONER

Not only does kwikfish know fishing and stocking, apparently he knows lawnmowers too!

I'd definitely say he hit the nail on the head with his diagnosis....

OOPS.

Sorry not that quikfish.

I wasn't aware until recently but apparently Chronzey uses kwikfish on another board.

I know lots about fishing. Much when it comes to small engines.

The only thing I know about stocking is what I've heard from Darryl.

Talked with him often when he's up at his trailer in Steelheaders park.

Sorry for the confusion.