Smoking fowl

muskymatt

I put some goose breasts in the smoker at 200 deg this morning for 7 hrs. Most are whole breasts but I did slice some. They soaked in a brine for 24hrs.

Anybody else have any info to add or experiences with goose?

I read one recipe that says it'll last up to 10 days in the fridge and a year if sealed and frozen.

You need to buy a vacume sealer.. Once you have the meat sealed,you can freeze it. Great for making winter soups.

Have a picture of the finished smoke? DROOLING.

vacuum sealing is a double edged sword, does it protect the meat, yes, does it hold for a long time, depends. with the vacuum seal, if the frozen package gets tossed around or dropped, the seal will break. it happens all the time at work, a customer will be looking at the frozen meats, toss the package back in, seal breaks, a week later we have freezer burned meat.

the absolute best way is to get the brown paper from your butcher, get the one that is plastic coated on one side. we use it to wrap freezer orders, and no matter how often the package is knocked around, it stays sealed. you can get a 900ft roll or 15" wide paper for around $30

Vacuum pack, then store them in tupperware containers in the freezer. Lasts forever. The containers stack neat and tidy, and prevent the vacuum packs from getting punctured.

Smoked goose breasts are great. Once done, slice them real thin and make sandwiches....almost like pastrami. YUM!

S.