Duck hunters,decoy question. Quality and set up.

misfish

I never really had to use decoys in years past. Hunted fields that had swamp on it. Just shot fly bye,s. This year Im buying a dozen new ones. I see Cabelas has the Final Approach ones on for 44 bux for 12. Carrying bag is 15 bux. Decent price.

Are these decoys good enough? What pattern do you use on open lakes?

7 drakes 5 hens.

Thanks

Nice decoys are great to have, but if you just want to get started, then the price is right, and as long as the paint doesn't flake you should be golden! For a couple dozen mallards, I don't worry about pattern much, just chuck em off to either side, and leave a pocket in the middle where they can land into the wind. Being in the right place is more critical than numbers of decoys. Movement is also a killer. Stay still, and be where they want to be and you should do well!

Once the birds have been shot at, they will be very cautious to deek, especially mallards. The bigger the flock the more eyes they have to spot you. I'll take 2 and 3 birds all day long over a flock. So a GOOD blind is just as important or more so then the way a few deeks are spread out.

If you intend to hunt the morning, in the evening drive by some of the spots your interested in hunting, especially if your hunting fields and see if they hold birds. This has help us a LOT.

As already mentioned, keep the wind at your back and have a landing area for the birds.

Good Luck