Skeg Repair/West Arm Report

Dan668

Was out fishing on the West Arm this past weekend. For the most part, fishing was good. A few small walleye (all under the slot), countless small pike (lost count), two largies that tipped the scales over 5lb. Unfortunately, no muskie to be seen. I thought we did pretty good considering this was our fishing time fishing the West Arm and second time fishing Nipissing. Their is a lot of water to cover. We only fished from Cross Lake to the narrows before Musky Island. Spent a lot of time looking for decent weeds and exploring. Also spent some time at Black Rock. The pike kept everyone busy, even friends of mine who dont get out as often. I was glad that they were enjoying the trip. Would of been disappointing to not catch over the 3 day period.

Heres my younger brother with one

b04a7910-570f-427b-9e2b-8afe32cdf813_zps

Managed to hit a narrow shoal that spiked up out of nowhere. Damaged my prop and skeg. Already purchased a new 4 blade prop. Looking for a recommendation on where to get the skeg fixed, preferably in the GTA. No marker, and even on Navionics, showed 10ft of water without obstructions. Figured it was bound to happen someday. I practically fish Georgian Bay weekly, figured it be there.

DSC_0068_1_zps9855b6f5.jpgDSC_0067_1_zpsa06a4c09.jpg

I took a big chunk out of mine a couple years ago. First I straightened it out as best I could with a mallet and piece of wood on other side. Be careful!!! I managed to break off another big piece of the skeg. Then I bolted on a skeg guard. I got mine thru Cabela's, but they are not hard to find, Bass Pro, marinas, online, etc. Skeg guards are cheaper than getting the skeg welded, and you have a lot to bolt onto yet. The other thing to watch for is your lower end oil at the end of the season. After hitting a rock and damaging my skeg, I cracked a seal and the lower end had water in the oil at the end of the season. A new seal isn't that expensive to get fixed it lets in water. Andy

Lots of submerged rocks up that way that aren't market on the GPS and we've all hit them...and will again :lol:

Sounds like you guys did really well considering it was your 1st time on that body of water.

I was sposed to head over to Cross Lake for some musky fishing a few weeks back but we didn't make it, although we did go for a non-fishing cruise one day and it sure does have some good looking spots.

Will be hitting it for sure when we're back up that way next summer.

Cross lake was by far the best area. My friends and i boated a few pike in the low to mid thirties and more really nice sized bass just a bit smaller than the one i posted.

There were a few boats casting bucktails by the islands.

Edited by dan668

I took a big chunk out of mine a couple years ago. First I straightened it out as best I could with a mallet and piece of wood on other side. Be careful!!! I managed to break off another big piece of the skeg. Then I bolted on a skeg guard. I got mine thru Cabela's, but they are not hard to find, Bass Pro, marinas, online, etc. Skeg guards are cheaper than getting the skeg welded, and you have a lot to bolt onto yet. The other thing to watch for is your lower end oil at the end of the season. After hitting a rock and damaging my skeg, I cracked a seal and the lower end had water in the oil at the end of the season. A new seal isn't that expensive to get fixed it lets in water. Andy

Thanks for the response. Ive looked into skeg guards but may just try to restore it because im considering selling the boat at the end of the season to upgrade.

Nice report and sucks about the lower unit. I hit the West Arm for the first time this year and did a little exploring back towards Cross Lake, but didn't go quite that far. All new water for us as well and we took it easy, sticking to the main channel. I think Navionics has teh West Arm mapped now, so I'll be getting an update before next year. As you noted, they're not always reliable. Even during the deep freeze of winter, the ice can move the rocks around a bit.

Where were you staying if I can ask ?

Nice report and sucks about the lower unit. I hit the West Arm for the first time this year and did a little exploring back towards Cross Lake, but didn't go quite that far. All new water for us as well and we took it easy, sticking to the main channel. I think Navionics has teh West Arm mapped now, so I'll be getting an update before next year. As you noted, they're not always reliable. Even during the deep freeze of winter, the ice can move the rocks around a bit.

Where were you staying if I can ask ?

The whole west arm is mapped on my Navionics+ card and Hotmaps Platinum from 2012. The + version has more detailed contours.

We stayed at West arm lodge. Nice place and owners. Right on the water. No complaints

Citywide Welding in Mississauga will fix you up.

They won't even need to remove the lower unit to fix that minor ding. ;)

Address

1867 Drew Rd

Mississauga ON L5S1J5

Phone Number

905-677-0316

Thanks. Not to far, ill give them a call