What type of minnow?

Kawartha Kev

Sorry I don't have pictures but can anyone take a guess as to what type of minnow I trapped? It was from the Don watershed in Toronto and they ranged in size from about 4 to 6 inches were a dull brown colour with a bright golden colour to their sides with some orange to the lateral and pelvic fins. Wish I had a camera with me they were really quite beautiful to see any ideas anyone?

Thanks Kawartha Kev

I was on a construction project last fall and they had to bypass a storm drain that flowed into the Humber river near Weston and Finch. We had some environmental people there to dam off the area as the 20' section was bypassed and fish/minnows were collected,checked, and re-released down stream. Some of the fish/minnows were quite surprising. They had a book with them that I had a look at to I.d. species and I was blown away at the different ones just in Ontario alone. There had to be hundreds. They were pulling out what looked like baby sunfish which surprised me and all kinds of other species. Wish I had asked for a spare book cause it was pretty interesting stuff.

Pidge.