Fishing For Tyler Trip(s) With Pikeslayer

Freshtrax

Had the pleasure of meeting up with one of ofc's finest a few times over the last two weeks for some lake Ontario action. I brought along my wife as I am trying to talk her into a much larger boat in the spring and her biggest fish was 3 lb bass, The thinking was she might get hooked on Trout and Salmon fishing like i now am.

Plans were laid, we met early, winds were supposed to be ok. Boy was the weatherman ever wrong, it was not the nicest day to be out on the lake ( wife not overly amused with the 6ft rollers). We toughed it out fished skinny for a while the surface temps were around 50 so worked our way deeper. About 8 miles out the water was still frigid , the wind was starting to howl and the rollers were turning into whitecaps we had to call it a day. On a positive note the wife was a pretty good sport about it all , and we set a PB. on Pikeslayers boat that day for most water over the bow. He also insisted We come back out as soon as the water warmed back up for another kick at the can.

The following weekend we met early again and hit the lake. Winds were ok but the previous few days east winds had some residual swells that kept us on our toes all day but it turned out to be a beauty day weather wise. we worked our way out to the blue zone and caught a cooler full of nice eater rainbows. It was a fantastic day.

Angela and I would like to Thank Pikeslayer for donating his time, boat and gear for a great cause!

here are a few pics from our outings

P8160567_zps1bd67004.jpg

P8160572_zps17216a9f.jpg

I thought this was a cool shot of the CN tower poking through the clouds

42f6ab6b-ea8c-439d-87f3-0fd8abc73d13_zps

P8240585_zpsc0358b15.jpg

and most importantly Angela got to catch a bunch of these guys

P8240592_zps48f18be9.jpg

So after picking Pikeslayers brain for a few days and stealing all of Fisherpetes waypoints I decided it was time to see what I had learned. Me and a few buds blew off work early today and made the trek from Kitchener to catch the evening bite, Fished from 5:30 to 8:ish was all quiet thinking were about to get skunked when a few big boys in their fall color's came out to play ended up 3/5 in 30 min could have caught more but it was pitch black and I was a chicken.

The pic does not do this fish justice , It was a beast. 20 plus

P8280609_zpscb3728c3.jpg

and it was riot / gong show to fight and land them n the dark

imagejpg1_zps24bebcb2.jpg

Neither one of these guys has caught a salmon in open water....the smiles say it all

And the wife said yes to a new boat in the spring, and there just happens to be a beauty Crestliner Sabre 25' up the street that hasn't left a driveway in a few years.

Edited by Freshtrax

Good to see ya got on some Kings Andrew. This season was the most challenging in the 5/6 past years I've (and many others) been on Lady O. Frigid temps throughout the water column, no theramclines, lots of wind and scattered fish made fishing tough. Happy to say that the boat is now docked at the cottage and sad to say I won't miss LO this year :(

As Andrew mentioned, day one was a goat rodeo. We covered skinny water and all the way out to 180 fow before increasing winds & waves chased us off the water just after 1000 hrs. I've had waves splash over my bow before but never fully breached a wave until that day. Was a quick, easy call and a good excuse to get Mr & Mrs Freshtrax on the water another day.

Our make up date the following weekend, surface temps had risen 15* F + and confidence was higher :). Plan was to fish 60-80 fow and until 0800 then head to the blue zone. We manged to keep west of the threatening sky (pic # 4), marked a few hooks and bait deep on bottom but never got a sniff. Despite making a significant sacrificial offering to Lady O!!! Snapped a 12 lb chrome shark off the starboard rigger, :( but the at least the sub troll probe remained attached :). Pulled lines a few minutes ahead of schedule and headed to the blue zone. Took us a little longer than usual to get out there. As mentioned, we had fetch waves/big rollers to navigate but nowhere near the intensity of the previous week. Arrived @ BZ and set up one down rigger, two wire combos and the lead down the shoot. Port side wire with 'go to' spin doctor combo fired first and Angela landed her first LO rainbow. Port side fired again and Andrew dragged in a shaker. A couple of knock offs on the down rigger and finally the lead fires. Andrew brings in a respectable bow, but still sits second to Angela ;). A brief pull and a miss on the 'go to' and then the lead takes the best hit of the day (just as we were discussing when/how effective lead core is LOL). Pulled an additional 100 ft of backing, so with 10 colours out, the counter was @ 470 ft of line out before Angela started gaining ground. Despite a few aggressive leaps (I'm always sharpening hooks ;) ), Angela handled the fish like a pro and landed the biggest fish of the day and a new solid PB by a large margin.

As most often happens, just when we have everything dialled in and on fish, we have to pull lines @ 1130 due to family commitments for all parties on board.

I'm really happy that we managed to get a make up date in and another successful Fishing for Tyler trip is in the books :).

Unfortunately, the second bid from John never materialized due to weather and schedules but John is on the calendar for next year. Not sure we'll get the goat rodeo adventures, but I gotta think it's going to be a better year ahead.

Glad to see your 'master plan' worked out Andrew. Looking forward to seeing you on the ice in the near future.

Simon