Boat advice

Shloim

Hi folks I can always count on you people for dome good advice in this dept anyway. So, I smacked my lower unit and chipped the case, and bent the prop. The boat was running fine not a drop of oil leaked it was at the very back where the prop comes out of the bullet. So I've made an insurance claim and dropped the boat off to be repaired. I gave the reputable repair person explicit instructions to "NOT" take it apart until he had the parts in his hands as it was running. Well , he didn't listen and it's now turned into a parts cluster fuq. (I've missed 2 weekends already). I made it very clear yesterday that I am expecting it back with my old case reassembled for this weekend. The missing parts from BRP are expected mid September allegedly .... Please advise what are my options?

Just because it is running does not mean that it should be run.

Although you may have told the mechanic not to take it apart, how else would he have knwon what parts are needed? When there is damage present to the lower unit, you could have easily bent the shaft or messed up a gear inside and I think this mechanic had your best interest in mind when he pulled the lower unit. He cannot check these items without doing so.

This is even more of a concern if you were running a stainless prop.

Did the mechanic let you know if everything within the Lower unit was good? If so, I wouldn't worry but if he hasn't specified, I would not run until I got a better picture of what is going on.

Just my thougths,

Adam

Ultimately, they need to take a look at the innards to properly repair the unit. Since you damaged the case, it needs to be disassembled to be repaired. He cannot just weld it fully assembled, all the seals will melt. That is why when a skeg gets repaired they always leave it full of oil. With case damage, the heat is too close to the prop seals etc.... be more careful out there, pretty much all of us have hit a shoal or rock or sunken timber. Welcome to the worrld of boat ownership, repairs and work inevitably get delayed by a lot of different reasons. I felt like a fool for hitting a couple shoals in GBay, the one time I should have known better, the othef was just dumb luck, a channel I travelled through countless times was a bit lower than usual and I made way for another boat pulling a skier, I was off mu normal path by only a few feet and wham, I hit a rock, trashed the prop and skeg and bent the prop shaft a bit. 800 bucks and 3 weeks later, I was back on the water. I was hoping for one week but that turned into 3 because of waiting cor a seal kit that was backordered at the time. S.....t happens.

So the deal is/was the lower unit was being replaced. Any parts needed were trash anyway. Prop was bent a bit but the shaft was ok, spun straight. I'm a trades person that raced go carts for years so I'm pretty mechanically inclined.... Anyway since my previous post it's worked out for the better and I should have it for the weekend. I also found out that I have loss of use coverage do I can rent worse come to worse.... But as I said I've been promised it for the weekend with a new entire lower unit so wish me luck

A chip and a bent prop isn't a big deal? I have chips out of my lower unit, been there for years...And props can be rebuilt and replaced. I fail to understand why you involved insurance and a mechanic?

I'm kinda wondering this as well. I ripped the skeg clean off our old Honda 40hp 4stroke after a run-in with a shoal on Gbay. Got home, took it to a shop, got it welded back up, back in business, lol.

Edited by BillM

it was a toonie size chip out of the bullet with the back half of my skeg that split vertically. It needed to be fixed as the hole/ circle where the prop comes out was compromised and the bearing was partially exposed. I was worried it would stretch and get looser. damaging all the gears inside if it ever leaked and stranded me. I also did it under the advice of my insurance broker (and long time boater) buddy. The boat and motor are otherwise pristine....

Edited by Shloim

it was a toonie size chip out of the bullet with the back half of my skeg that split vertically. It needed to be fixed as the hole/ circle where the prop comes out was compromised and the bearing was partially exposed. I was worried it would stretch and get looser. damaging all the gears inside if it ever leaked and stranded me. I also did it under the advice of my insurance broker (and long time boater) buddy. The boat and motor are otherwise pristine....

Thanks for a better explanation.