Orangeville (Island Lake) report

ribak

Hey guys, havent posted on here in a while, due to exams, but since those are done, did a little fishing, and wanted to write a quick report for anyone who might be interested.

So made it out to Orangeville (island lake) today with my paps for a couple hours, and to my surprise only saw one other boat out there. Started out pretty nicely, got 2 pike within 15 minutes, nothing spectacular up to 20 inches, and a largie around 3 pounds and 18 inches. Took a quick pic and back they went, Im not sure if the pic will work, never posted pic before. After that we couldnt get anything to bite for a while, while the other boat was doing well, at around 11 they said they had around 10 pike and 1 bass. We tried everything, but couldnt get to those numbers. Got 2 more largies, one at 3lb the other at 1lb, 1 more pike at around 18inches, and 2 perch at 11 and 9 inches. We tried everything, but all 8 fish were caught on x-raps (bass and pike on the large one and perch on the little one).

Sorry team 2, I didnt bring my OFC sign for the bass, and didnt want to make one on the spot because I didnt wanna keep them out of the water for too long.

Not a bad day overall, only bad thing was our battery died as we decided to leave, so had to paddle all the way back from the other side of the lake, but good exercise nonetheless.

Good luck everyone

Mike

asdf.JPG

Well done ribak, if you want more consistant action at Orangeville you have to use small jigs with twister tail grubs. Of course you'll have your share of bite offs from the hammer handle pike but that comes with the territory. I'm surprised you didn't get into any big crappie with the smaller x-raps. I'm hoping to get up to Island lake myself in the next few weeks. It's going to be difficult to fish for crappie now that musky is about to open.

Jediangler...I used different colored jigs with white twister tail grubs, because i do well with that on pike in other lakes, but had no takers. And about crappie, I know theyre in there, and some people do well, but I only catch them accidentally there once in a while. Either way its a nice lake not far from the city with good summer and winter action.

Some one needs to read the rules.

Sorry team 2, I didnt bring my OFC sign for the bass, and didnt want to make one on the spot because I didnt wanna keep them out of the water for too long.

Something tells me,you did good by not doing the OFC sign thing. :oops:

Nice report non the less.

TFS

Edited by misfish

Good to hear you had some luck on the lake. Since they've made it catch a release for bass I've been hearing reports of Bass as big as 6lbs. It's a shallow weedy lake so top water and spinner baits work great all summer. I even know guys fly fishing for bass on island lake and they sometimes do very well.

Also, if you guys need tackle while your up there there's a new tackle shop in town. Anglers Pro Tackle and Hunt shop. www.anglerspro.ca 519-941-4218

Cheers

gb