Grand R. today

pikehunter

I had no appointments booked with customers today so with the great weather I hooked up the boat and hit the Grand. Just pulled into Dunnville and I realized I had forgot the camera! I rememered the worms, cellphone, drinking water and even my hat! But left the camera sitting on my dresser.

It was a great morning on the water, clear sky, nice air temp and the water was just under 70 F. Launching at the BBQ where there was only one other trailer parked was good, but the fee is up a dollar this year to 8 bucks. Headed down past and through my favourite spots without a hit.

Made it down to my very best spot and drifted through a few times using minnows, nothing. Changed over to a Meps with a worm and that did it! :clapping: Reeling it in I felt a little bump. I stopped for a fraction of a second thinking it could be a Walleye, (hoping) Started to reel a bit and it took it. The fight was on!

I was using 8 lb. mono with the drag set pretty loose. He put up a good fight and I finally got the net ready and brought in a 29 1/2 inch cat fish. Nice size and the hook was just in the upper lip. I brought him into the boat for a quick measure and let him go back to play with his buddies.

The cats were surfacing and jumping all around the boat. It also looked like some little splashes on the surface that were probably minnows, I guess the cats were chasing them?

I then packed up and headed out to the river mouth to try for perch without any luck. Several other boats were trying too, but I don't think they had much luck. On the way back I tried 3 times to give the rest of my minnows away. Finally the last person I offered them to was at the seasonal dock at the BBQ and he gladly took them! He even had a minnow pail for them on hand! Made him happy anyway, I hope he had a good day too.

No picture to show off todays catch, but it was still a good morning to get out for a little fishing. :Gonefishing:

Good report Pikehunter ...best baits for eyes this year have been jointed perch wallydivers hot-n-tots black & crome and salmo crank baits .next time your down this way stop in ill send you to one of my hot spots for walleye guys have been getting limits pretty much every night ...and for them big cats they never refuse Big-os trolling the bottom ...as for the perch it's been hite and miss still seems to be the perch bite is still not on fire yet but they are gettting a few earlyer morning off the peir ...Fishmaster