A long Sunday fishing, and then the fog rolled in!

Well I finally out on one of my favorite locations on the Ottawa river to fish on Sunday ( Constance Bay ), this area has everything to fish for. At this time of year you can get large pike, walleye, and big cats, and of course PAN FISH! I hate panfish!

The weather of course had to be like last Sunday (seems like a trend ) cool, rainy, but not to cold, and the winds died down. We didnt get out until after 2 pm, we erected the new and improved welfare top to keep us dry and warm. We came out of the bay we launch from (Buchams Bay ) rounded the tip and were met with big waves! Now we were kinda shocked but the wind that was blowing was coming straight out of the south, right up the river and we were going directly into it to get to the Constance Bay side. We were bouncing through the waves pretty good at time catching some air. I would be lying if I said I wasnt having fun, but am I still sore! :stretcher: Finally we arrived at a previously marked way point where we have always had luck in the past, let me tell you it is really a good thing to have a gps on your boat and I will explain later.

We decided to just plain bobber fish with large minnows for a while as this has worked for us in the past.

IMG_1305.JPG

We fished for a while and not much going on, we did get a few strikes and some torn in half minnows but no hook ups.

Finally my bobber takes off and I set the hook, it is a good fish, right away I know its a cat. I was right, this one was the largest of the day. Unfortunately no pic, as I seem to have erased it ( moron )

After a while we decide to troll around the bay. I had decided to throw on a tail dancer, well the tail dancer had different ideas and didnt want to go because next thing I know, I catch the biggest thing of the day.....

ME

hooked3.JPG

Man I got me good .........

hooked_1.JPG

The hook went deep inside and of course to make matters worse didnt poke through the other side so I had to push it through, surprisingly not alot of pain.

hooked2.JPG

Well after getting it through I managed to cut the barb and remove it from my finger and start fishing again.

We only got a couple snot rockets trolling so we decided to anchor of a large sand bar for the night bite.

Wasnt long before we started catching some fish. I ended up with 5 eyes, and 4 cats and my buddy ended up with a few cats. Only a couple of pics because it was dark.

cat2.JPG

cat4.JPG

Around midnight we noticed everything had disappeared, fog rolled in and we could not see anything, man this was going to be a fun ride back. Like I said before, thank god for the GPS'S, yes I have two on board.

gps.JPG

gps2.JPG

And we needed them both. If I did not have them we would have ended up who know where, kinda scary but cool too. I only went 5 mph the whole way back and it took about 1.5 hrs but we finally made it and got the boat out of the water and packed up. The ride home was very slow to because of the fog. Bottom line is I walked in at 3:45am and was beat, so I called in to work and stayed home to catch some zzz's.

Sorry I dont have a lot of fish pics this time but nothing really good to shoot, but it was an interesting adventure to say the least.

Don

Don...this was another awesome report! The hook in the finger...OUCH!!!! Glad to see that it didn't interfere with the rest of your day!! Despite the conditions, you still got into some fish. The foggy ride back to the launch must have been cool...and a bit nerve wracking I'm sure!

Ooooooo, that pains me to see that hook in the finger. Been there, done that, but mine was in the base of my thumb area and wouldn't poke through. My two trusty doctors, Spiel and Crappiesteve were there to help me through tho and took care of it :thumbsup_anim:

Great report otherwise.

Joey

Well see what happens when you get so bored that you wanted to see what a fish feels when you hook them. :dunno::blush::o ...anyways nice catch,and cool pics,and it sounded loike a very interesting ride back to the launch,gotta love the GPS...thanks for the river report....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

All these years of fishing I had never hooked myself, now it has happened twice in 4 years. The first time was in the thumb and I had to push that one through too, man I had no idea thumb meat was so tough, it was like pushing through gristle. And this is why I hate panfish! I had caught a sunfish on a rig with a stinger, well I am trying to take the devil fish off and he thrashes at the wrong time and in goes the stinger! Well I didnt let that stop my day of fishing either. This time it was a brand new taildancer so the hooks were clean, not that I would have gone in anyway. And man was it eerie coming back in in the fog at night. You could just see the front lights of the boat and nothing else. I am just glad there wasnt anything on the water. I have to say it was really cool though and I proved to myself that I could navigate back to the launch completely blind. But I do have two gps', one is a magellan with a detailed map of the river, contours , depths, and the other is part of my new Lowrance 334c igps. They worked great together.

Well hopefully I can get out this weekend on Sunday( probably crappy weather again) I may meet up with Jackel for a little carp fishing on the st.lawrence near Long Sault. He is going there for the weekend, I couldnt find anyone to camp with so I will be going just for the day. It will be my first time carp fishing.

Don