HDS 7 Touch from the south

mattp33

I found what looks like a great deal on a HDS7 from epal down south. Has anyone ordered elecs from the states. Will I have to pay duty on it before it gets to me? Any way around it? Guy told me he would send as a gift I heard that helps sometimes.

I don't get duty charges, sometimes I pay huge sometimes I pay nothing. I read its all about where the item is made not where it's bought.

It's all about the declared value. If he declares it for like $50, you won't pay anything on it. Problem is, if it's lost in transit, goodluck claiming full price for it.. Marking it as gift really doesn't matter.

Also, USPS or nothing.

Edited by BillM

I found what looks like a great deal on a HDS7 from epal down south. Has anyone ordered elecs from the states. Will I have to pay duty on it before it gets to me? Any way around it? Guy told me he would send as a gift I heard that helps sometimes.

I don't get duty charges, sometimes I pay huge sometimes I pay nothing. I read its all about where the item is made not where it's bought.

First of all...NEVER send money through PayPal as a gift. If you do and the transaction goes bad, you will not have any recourse through PayPal. Here is what is posted on another fishing related site on the subject..."If you purchase something using PayPal and send the money as a gift if there were any kind of dispute, PayPal will not get involved....money was not sent to purchase, was sent as a gift. glasses.gif

If you're a seller, please do NOT request that money be sent PayPal as a gift"

As far as purchasing electronics, I've had good luck. I bought an HDS7, HDS8 and LSS1 from Texas.

Where are you located?

Edited by grimsbylander

Depending on how the unit is shipped you would have to pay brokerage and GST. I'm not sure on duty, it might be duty free.

As far as the brokerage charge, USPS is generally very low or non-existant. UPS is around $40 last time I used it, but if it is shipped expedited (blue) or higher then the brokerage is included in the shipping charge, which might be reasonable if it's only a couple of pounds.

Warning about shipping as a gift: You're lying and you might get caught. They open random packages and a brand new graph is going to draw attention. I live in London, ON. I have things shipped ground to a facility in Port Huron who will sign for it for $5. Then I go pick it up and I only have to pay GST and Duty at customs if applicable. Often I am waved through. If you're far from a border, this isn't as convenient obviously.

If you have it shipped USPS (NOT UPS, Fedex, Purolator or anything else) it usually shows up without duty, taxes, or brokerage but you're not always that lucky. I have bought tons of stuff this way and I would say 90% of the time it comes through no problem Worst case, they pinch you for HST and a small brokerage fee as most of this stuff is duty free anyway.

Funny story, I bought an HDS 12 touch from California last year and it came in no problem but it didn't work right. I returned it and got another one and again no HST. It still didn't work so I returned it again and the third time I got pinched for the HST (like 300 bucks or so). Turned out it was a faulty power cord.....ooops. If the vendor had simply put "warranty return" on the papers I would have got away scott free. Anway, figure out the deal and if you can add the exchange and 13% HST without costing more than here, give it a shot. Even after paying the fees I still saved 600 bucks on mine.