New Ride (NF) - Ram 1500 Diesel

hutch4113

Raf they are having issues with the O2 sensors on the one mounted by the turbo chargers. They keep sending conflicting info causing sooting that cakes on the turbo and clogging down the line. Another contractor is running 3 of these engines and has replaced 4 O2 sensors and 1 turbo before 100 thousand miles. The EGR recycling valve also sticks and will soot up and put the vans into limp mode. The solutions so far is to run BnG diesel additive in the fuel. Before running this additive the back of his trucks would be sooted in 2 days and now it is just slightly discolored in 2 weeks.

Art

Thanks Art & interesting, there must be differences in the engine electrical in the Jeeps compared to the Sprinters as I've not heard of the 1st one scouring the Jeep forums.

The EGR issue can be common with CCV systems. I understand these diesels produce more blowby than gassers which doesn't help matters when it comes to caking EGRs, intercoolers etc unless you vent these to the atmosphere.

Raf they are having issues with the O2 sensors on the one mounted by the turbo chargers. They keep sending conflicting info causing sooting that cakes on the turbo and clogging down the line. Another contractor is running 3 of these engines and has replaced 4 O2 sensors and 1 turbo before 100 thousand miles. The EGR recycling valve also sticks and will soot up and put the vans into limp mode. The solutions so far is to run BnG diesel additive in the fuel. Before running this additive the back of his trucks would be sooted in 2 days and now it is just slightly discolored in 2 weeks.

Art

You really need to drive these engines, lugging them around will lead to all sorts of problems (especially the ones you mentioned)...

RAF, I vent my TDI to the atmosphere to rule out CCV vapours making their way back into the intake via the TIP, I also deleted the EGR.. Most guys that have issues with gunked up VNT/VGT mechanisms drive their cars like 90 year old ladies. Put the boots to it a few times a day and I doubt you'll have any issues.

Edited by BillM

The sprinter at 152 HP and being heavy and bulky you pretty much use the throttle as an on off switch. The shift points are it's down fall at 4000 rpms and with the load of the A/c running it takes time for the turbos to spool up and get the ratio back in line for fuel/air. I think as we press forward on the design of turbo's and getting them to react faster and more stable we will see them become common on almost all vehicles.

Art

Was towing my boat with a smaller CUV, but never really liked how it handled it. Decided to get rid of my Car and jump into the Truck world. Since i have love Diesel - and Ram came out with one in the 1500, I was sold.

truck1.jpg

Now I just have to do some towing.....and of course fishing.....

Great trucks eh! I got one last month. Give it a month and it will break in a bit and your mileage gets way better. I'm averaging 9.1l/100km. I do a fair bit of highway driving but the city driving I do is on the middle of Toronto and usually bumper to bumper. I towed my boat today and discovered I get better mileage towing then I did with my 2013 F150 eccoboost on the highway without towing anything!

I was a ford guy but I to have gone the way of the dark side

Congrats! you will only grow to love it more!

Cheers

Edited by dracokaos

The sprinter at 152 HP and being heavy and bulky you pretty much use the throttle as an on off switch. The shift points are it's down fall at 4000 rpms and with the load of the A/c running it takes time for the turbos to spool up and get the ratio back in line for fuel/air. I think as we press forward on the design of turbo's and getting them to react faster and more stable we will see them become common on almost all vehicles.

Art

It's the torque that matters, at 152HP, it's probably making what, 280-300ftlbs? All with peak torque at probably 1800rpm or less? Youcan't get into these trucks and drive them like gassers, lol. As for the turbos, they all utilize VNT/VGT/Some sort of variable vane technology.. The best of both worlds... Small turbo down low where you need to it spool up quickly, bigger turbo up to top to keep things going.. Even Porsche used a VGT (First one in a gasser since the old Turbo Dodges from the 80's)....

One thing I have found with most factory diesels is that they are anemic from the factory, with a chip tune or similar that Sprinter would feel like an entirely different vehicle. You should see what a few mods does on a lowly VW TDI :)

Edited by BillM

my sister just got the same vehicle. awesome deal. with my employee discount it saved thousands. a loaded diesel for 30 grand awesome. the mileage is great.. weird to have a knob on the dash for a shifter

It was sort of strange, but I like it now. It is funny how much space it clears up on the wheel. To be honest though, I probably would prefer a shifter on the floor - somewhere to rest my hand when driving.

Great trucks eh! I got one last month. Give it a month and it will break in a bit and your mileage gets way better. I'm averaging 9.1l/100km. I do a fair bit of highway driving but the city driving I do is on the middle of Toronto and usually bumper to bumper. I towed my boat today and discovered I get better mileage towing then I did with my 2013 F150 eccoboost on the highway without towing anything!

I was a ford guy but I to have gone the way of the dark side

Congrats! you will only grow to love it more!

Cheers

How long did you have to wait for it (assuming you ordered)? I was about 10 weeks from purchase to delivery - a long 10 weeks...lol.

Looks awesome, I am moving to the dark side and getting one in a couple weeks except with the hemi and 8 speed.

You will love it. I took the Hemi out for a test - it was pretty close. But I went with the diesel, for a few different reasons. But the Hemi sure sounds nice....

Bill, I am hesitant in venting CCV to atmosphere for three reasons:

i. ccv vapours smell, wife and kid use this vehicle too -- not sure I want them smelling the stuff at stoplights.

ii. don't need anything dripping on my driveway

iii. concerned about condensation in the vent tube in the winter freezing up and causing excess pressure possibly blowing a seal somewhere and/or same condensation being sucked into the turbo. the stock setup has a heater to prevent this. of course I could just plumb it back into the intake in the winter.

you're bang on about the tunes. there's a tune for the GC that bumps power on the GC from 215hp/376ft-lb to 241/440 (dyno tested) and users report a mpg improvement of 2-4 mpg too boot -- it also disables the egr. i'm sure there's something similar for the sprinters.

Hey Raf,

You're CCV shouldn't be pumping out that much oil vapour, if it is there's another problem on hand. As for drips, yeah you might have to deal with 1 or 2, personally I've never see any on my driveway (I'm guessing they are all out on the road somewhere). I don't get any sort of smell in my cabin either (Gotta remember there isn't much coming out of that tube at all... Most of it is stuck to the inside of the tube anyhow). As for freezing, unless you're using an extremely small tube, that's not something you should worry about. There's no where for the water to build up and freeze, now if you ran a catch can or similar, that's something I'd be worried about once winter comes.

How long did you have to wait for it (assuming you ordered)? I was about 10 weeks from purchase to delivery - a long 10 weeks...lol.

I ordered Mid March, they tried to find me one from another dealership but were unsuccssful. I ended up getting it May 22nd. It was actually 10 days early. I have almost 2k on it now. Gas milage continues to get better.

I got the BigHorn package. What did you get??

I ordered Mid March, they tried to find me one from another dealership but were unsuccssful. I ended up getting it May 22nd. It was actually 10 days early. I have almost 2k on it now. Gas milage continues to get better.

I got the BigHorn package. What did you get??

I ordered end of March (24th) but it did not actually go in until April 7th, when the allotements opened. Build was May 5th/6th, but then it sat in QA for about 3 weeks (that was long..lol).

I was looking at a loaded Big Horn - but wife saw/sat in a Laramie and liked it better. Ended up with a full load Laramie, including Air Suspension.

I ordered end of March (24th) but it did not actually go in until April 7th, when the allotements opened. Build was May 5th/6th, but then it sat in QA for about 3 weeks (that was long..lol).

I was looking at a loaded Big Horn - but wife saw/sat in a Laramie and liked it better. Ended up with a full load Laramie, including Air Suspension.

LMAO.....my wife sat in that truck as well.....then looked at the sticker and told me the big horn would do just fine!

oh well, beggers cant be chooser's

LMAO.....my wife sat in that truck as well.....then looked at the sticker and told me the big horn would do just fine!

oh well, beggers cant be chooser's

I hear you. I ended up getting the Laramie for about 15K off MSRP - I think I had the Big Horn at about 44K when all was said and done. The Laramie ended up being about 6K more so was ok.

My first wetting in the world of turbos was to take a 280z and mod a 280zx turbo and controls on to it. The turbo controlled by the mass airflow sensor reboxed and then run thru a volvo intercooler has a separate pressure switch that closed off the return to the tank and raised the fuel rail up to 65lbs. Talk about lighting the candle when you floored it. lol. It would eat corvettes on the straights as well as keeping the balance correct in the corners. Best car I ever built out as far as performance. The current ride is the eco boost that is stock and with the sequential twin turbos and the 3.72 gear set it has all of the grunt I need to tow as well as getting surprisingly good gas mileage but not as good as they advertised. I have gone to 2 wheels now for my speed fix with a SR500 track bike that is street legal and my latest build is a RZ350 with a custom programmable CDI,exhaust,porting, carb.,punched out twice over. So far we have gone from 42 HP to 67 at the rear wheel. The clutch had to be reworked from a R1 as well as beefing up the suspension to keep it controllable. I love two strokes. lol.

Sorry for the distraction from the original post.

Art

Ugh, please PLEASE post pics of the RZ!!!! I took a ride on a RG500 Gamma 'Walter Wolf' exactly one time and have never even come close to riding something like that again! Insanity is really the best way to describe it.

Nice ride! Definitely a game changer for the 150/0 size pickup truck.

Welcome to the diesel club, don't you love it when diesel is averaging 10 cents cheaper in summer. (but it's 10+ cents more in the winter)

VW Touareg TDI 12L/100KM (local towing 19feet Lund)

Nice ride! Definitely a game changer for the 150/0 size pickup truck.

Welcome to the diesel club, don't you love it when diesel is averaging 10 cents cheaper in summer. (but it's 10+ cents more in the winter)

VW Touareg TDI 12L/100KM (local towing 19feet Lund)

Fortunately, when I did my fuel calculations/cost analysis I was using Winter numbers. Had no idea that Diesel would drop below Gas in the Summer - (since I have never paid attention to it before...lol). Nice surprise - something actually less than I thought it was....

Diesel vehicles also get better mileage when it's hot and muggy outside. Winter diesel has less BTU's per litre because of the anti gelling treatment it receives at the refinery.. So don't worry once it's -30 out and you're getting not so stellar mileage :)

Do you guys plugs yours in once the temps reach -15 to -30??

You shouldn't have to but anything that helps with wear and tear during cold starts is a good thing in my books. If you can without too much of a hassle, absolutely yes.

Also, don't let it idle, start it up, let it even it self out then drive it. You won't gain any sort of engine temp in the winter by letting it idle for 10-15mins.

Edited by BillM

Hey there,

does anyone with the new dodge ecodiesel have a smell in the cab after you have been driving for a bit? I find it work prevalent after coming off the highway.

I think it has to do with the active grill shutters but not sure.

Thanks in advance

cheers