NF - Barred Owl Chick Regurgitates Pellets - Video - Ottawa

Hello All,

Here is some video footage I shot the morning of June 16th. It shows the 4 to 5 week old barred owl chick, having recently left the nest, regurgitating two pellets. This is the first of the three chicks to leave, and I discovered it perched on a fallen tree approx. 30 yards from the nest. I was fortunate to spend almost an hour with it - sitting only ten feet away.

Pellets consist of the indigestible parts of an owl's diet and include such items as fur, feathers, bones, claws, teeth, and fish scales. On average, an owl casts one to two pellets each day, depending on its food consumption.

I feel very fortunate to have witnessed this first hand, especially with such a young owl. Nature definitely holds so many surprises...

(watch in 1080p HD for best quality)

Cheers,

Justin

I've been watching a nest here as well. Always entertaining to watch. I need a better camera. I have one of 2 out of the nest. The nest is in a hollowed out maple tree. Pretty neat stuff, that a lot of people would walk right by without even noticing!

S.

Cool stuff, Sinker! Yes, the only reason I even found the owls - then the nest - is when one of the adults made a single 'hoot' as I walked by, approximately 50 yards from it. Similar to you, this nest is in a broken-off tree stump, some 15 feet high. Unless you looked closely, you would never notice.
Been a few days since I was last at the nest. I imagine all are out now. Will check on them in a day or two.

Cheers,

Justin

Thanks, Joey. No, it wasn't bothered by me in the least. I am the first human it has had contact with or seen, so perhaps it was more curious than anything. Mom was not too far away but didn't seem too concerned with me. When I took this video I was less than 10 feet from the chick.

Incredible experience and one I feel very luck to have witnessed. May check back on the nest in the morning - I imagine all three chicks will be out now.

Cheers,

Justin