Impulse Purchase - CL201DC

Steve

I own a Calais 201, but not the DC reel.

I was at my local shop today and had a CL-201DC, brand new in box.I asked what he wanted for it....and he said he had it for a long time and wanted to get rid of it....$350 was asked. I bought it.

After a quick search I see it's discontinued, which makes pricing it tough. Also, I see it is a 7.1 gear ratio.

What are you folks using that reel for? Its a little heavier, yes.

Also, man is this thing "fancy". how many dials and gizmo's does it have??? I'm wondering how user friendly it is going to be, lol.

Edited by Steve

Good deal! Set up right that reel can throw about anything, the digital break should let you throw right down to 1/8 all the way up to 2-3 ounce bama rigs. I pull 1 out when it gets windy and I start getting a little tired later in the day. I have it on a 7'1 MH and sees a lot of spinner baits and chatter baits.

Good find!!!

Get all the parts you can find or you will have a very expensive paper weight, as Shimano only continues making parts for 5 years after been discontinued, that way they force the consumer to supposedly upgrade all the time because they felt like changing the last 2 letters on a reel, ie TE, FE, FB, FA, DC etc etc etc

Get all the parts you can find or you will have a very expensive paper weight, as Shimano only continues making parts for 5 years after been discontinued, that way they force the consumer to supposedly upgrade all the time because they felt like changing the last 2 letters on a reel, ie TE, FE, FB, FA, DC etc etc etc

I haven't had to replace a single part on any of my 3 Calais(s) yet... Take care of the reel and it should last you a looooooong time.

any specific parts you recommend (I guess more likely to wear)?

I phone Shimano, and ask the Reel repair guy which parts are most common to wear out, by his experience, and stock up, ie my Stellas and a few of the Susains, and Stradics, have a rubber friction ring that basically looses its shape over time, under the rotor, i have a few extras of these

Considering my local shop was selling off the last regular Calais for the same price, I say you got a smoking deal on that reel.

One of the local fisherman has one of these and uses it for long distance casting techniques. Frogs, spinnerbaits and a few other things I can't think of.

The weigh of this reel is it's only downfall. Take care of it and it will last you years. And once you have worn her out and can't get parts for it, you will still have a really shiny and "fancy" showcase piece that has probably paid for itself tenfold...