An interesting Rice Lake shore fishing

Steelcat

We decided to try a new fishing spot and arrived at around 2pm, paid our entrance fee and immediately set up our stuff along the shore. The water was clear and wave action was at minimum. Tons of Sunfish hanging along the shoreline accompanied by some baby Smallmouth. Since we were trying to target Walleye, I immediately cast out my trusty jerkbait. As I reel it in, I realized that a school of Rock Bass chasing my jerkbait. After 20 minutes of casting, I figured Walleye wouldn't be around until dusk, I then changed to use a minow like bait under a float. Once I casted it out, a Rock Bass was on. We were able to catch tons of Rock Bass within a short period of time. Boat traffic was pretty heavy, and that really turned off the fish. After an hour of no action (you can still see fish all over, they just didn't want to eat), we saw several Carp cruising around. We then decided to switch to corn and hopefully land one of the Carp. We missed 2 and finally landed our first ever Carp which was 33 inches~! It wasn't fighting as hard as we would have imagined. After the Carp action, we wanted to try some more fishing, so we started to walk all over the area again. We were able to catch several more Rock Bass, a single Crappie. After a little more walk, we found an area where we accidentally caught 3 Smallmouth and a Largemouth (around 1 to 3 lbs range all released). We finished our day at 830pm (they close at 9pm). Too bad we weren't able to get our target fish since they were at deeper water.

First Rock Bass of the day

P5261396a.jpg

Nesting Sunfish

P5261403a.jpg

Sunfish that hit a crankbait

P5261408a.jpg

The 33 inches Carp (OFC Community.com is written on that paper~!)

P5261416a.jpg

A nice sunset in Rice Lake

P5261415a.jpg

Great shots . . . . I'm surprised that carp disappointed you . . . . he should have given you the ride of your life on light gear? With Rice being very shallow, it warms fast . . . you musta just picked a lazy one? I'm surprised there were so many panfish in close . . . . sounds like an ideal place to entertain kids.

The place was packed with families that were staying there for the weekend. It's fun to see those kids catching panfish, and yelled with joy when they landed one. As for the Carp, we saw lots of them were cruising around pretty fast, maybe this one just woke up from its afternoon nap :P