Should I be thinking about a new boat?

bigcreekdad

Just the boat....a 15 year old Alumacraft Magnum 165. It's been a great boat, but it's getting a few issues. I've got major wiring problems throughout. Floor is rotted in some areas. Carpet is quite worn. Obviously, I can (and still might) get these issued addressed. However, I was wondering if I will be looking at any other issues over time....ie leaks in hull (none noticeable yet), gas tank issues, does transom weaken over time etc?

I'd love to hear others thoughts.

If it has a plastic built in tank----you should be good

If you lift the rotted floor out---everything will get real easy to work on--like wiring

My buddy is putting aluminum checkerplate in instead of plywood---he likes it---easy to clean---light

Now it's always nice to buy something new---if ya got the $$$ to dispose of

You should be able to tell if your transom has been flexing----what have you had for a motor when trailering and did you use a transom saver?

I'm still fishing out of a '91 starcraft. I've replaced the floor, and re did wiring, and now its just as good, if not better, than it ever was. If you like the boat, keep it. Its hard to find a comparable boat these days.

S.

Unless you want a bigger boat with newer bells and whistles, I would say refurb is your best option.

If you want a bigger boat or a different style of boat, I would consider looking at other options but as long as you are still happy with the boat, keep it.

If it's 15 and still good it is a good boat. Lots of good aluminiums are still being used at 40+ years old.

The nice thing about redoing it is you can make it the way you want. Most of the stuff that gets wrecked can be fixed too.

When my boat starts leaking real bad I give it another coat of paint.