Navionics app vs card

Lunatic

ive been thinking about buying a card for my fish finder,not sure what yet,plus,gold or platinum or just downloading the app for android phone?

i remember downloading the app about 2 years ago for my iphone but never got to use it. is it just as good as the card?

what if the lake im on isnt on their lake list,can i still use it to place markers for hot spots ect?

thanks.

Get a card for your fish finder for sure. IMO The usefulness of the app comes down to the screen size of your phone.I don't have it on my phone but I would get it if I had a larger phone screen like the samsung. My son has it on his iPhone and it works well for him.

Lots of old posts about this if you search Navionics.

I bought a chart plotter/fish finder at Angling Outfitters in Woodstock yesterday. They really know they're stuff. For me it was worth it to drive an hour for the expertise and service. If you go I would call ahead and discuss what you need with Joselyn before driving out there.

I really don't think you can treat those two things as equals. The app is nice, but it doesn't really compare to having the map in your GPS/sonar. At least in my experience [with my phone]. Also, I recently tried to run my installed app and it failed to work. Not sure what happened but I think an update to my Android OS messed it up and Navionics no longer supports that version. So, I had to buy it again. It was relatively inexpensive at $15 so I just re-purchased the new version. Annoying and not something I would normally tolerate, but it's cheap so I just sucked it up.

Also, you can always use the free online Navionics app to scout out lakes.

App works well when you sync your cell phone to your tablet. My Ipad is in a waterproof case so i can lay it by my feet.

Why do you sync it to your phone? It shouldn't need to be synced at all. The app uses GPS not your cellular service. The only catch is wifi only iPads do not have a built in GPS receiver so you need to buy an external GPS antenna. The 3G model does have a built GPS receiver but it does not need any cellular plan. It will work withou a SIM card in it at all.

Scott

there is nothing complicated about it knuguy. in fact I would argue that having a detailed map with contour lines etc makes things much easier for me to navigate. also being able to determine where exactly I am on a lake is a huge advantage.

staying on top of fish is key and having the proper electronics lets you repeat a productive program very easily.

Why do you sync it to your phone? It shouldn't need to be synced at all. The app uses GPS not your cellular service. The only catch is wifi only iPads do not have a built in GPS receiver so you need to buy an external GPS antenna. The 3G model does have a built GPS receiver but it does not need any cellular plan. It will work withou a SIM card in it at all.

Scott

When the ipad is synced and i mean synced as in "iphone hotspot" it allows the wifi only ipad to use the iphones gps functionality and then i dont need to go buy a external receiver. I didnt buy the 3G model tablet, because i only use it at University and wifi is plentiful. But if you do have the 3G model then you're correct, no cellular data connection is needed. Syncing the phone allows me to get around the wifi only problem. The sync also allows any iMessages and emails can pop up on my ipad, instead of pulling out my phone to see the message.

Basically just working with the tools i have haha

Edited by bman32