Catfish Trip from the Tyler Auction

grizzlybri

A special thanks to FisherPete for offering up a 3 trips in the Tyler Auction. Chris K, Jeremy84 and I were able to bid and win on one of the trips.

Well we finally cashed in on the trip yesterday (April 27). We met up with FisherPete just after 7:00 am and we were off for the day. The weather was not looking the best with an overcast sky, when the weatherman was calling for 10-15 degrees. However we’re all happy the forecast ended up being right.

After getting to our first spot it did not take long before we had the first fish in the boat. It was my first ever Channel Catfish. It was not long after that we all had a kitty in the boat.

20140427_075343.jpg

Once the action died down we decided to move to a new spot and Pete told us that last week the heaviest fish came out of the spot for the tournament he was in. We were having a bit of action. Pete took a step off the boat for a second on the bank we were beached on, and his rod does a jump and almost gets pulled into the water. I managed to grab the rod right before it happened and after what seemed like forever I pulled in this pig which was 29" and was 12 3/4 lbs

20140427_100638.jpg

It was a great day out with some fellow board members and also fun to fish with FisherPete for the first time, after meeting him a handful of times before the trip. I would consider bidding on the trip again next year if it was offered again because of how good of a time I had. The only down side for me was not taking up Pete on his offer on sun screen and now I’m sporting a nice sun burn.

Edited by DynamicBear

First, I would like to thank Chris, Brian and Jeremy for their generous bid on this trip in the Fishing for Tyler auction.

As Saturday approached, I was a bit worried about the fishing, as the last time out (Monday) only 2 fish were caught. The forecast looked good, 12C, a mix of sun and cloud and low winds. I got to the launch at 6:45am, geared up and launched the boat. The guys showed up shortly after, and we headed out. 4 guys in my boat is a bit cozy, but it worked! It didn't take long and we were into fish. First spot - 5. Second spot - 2 including Brian's bruiser. Third spot - another 2. We had 9 landed by around noon. The fishing slowed down in the afternoon, but we picked up 3 more for a total of 12, and Chris picked up a bonus sheephead.

Heaviest 4 : 12.75, 11.25, 11 and 9.5. Solid catfish entries for 3 teams in the OFC tourney too - 29" for Brian, 26.5" I think for Jeremy and 26" for Chris if memory serves?

Glad you guys had a blast - I did too. I loved Brian giggling his butt off as his big fish was kicking his butt at boatside... Learning about reindeer bells... Almost losing my rod (thanks for the save Brian!)... Chris getting that sheepie and clams lol... Good times :)

Can't wait to see the rest of your pics - there are some great ones.

Pete

Well for some reason all day my rod was cold, so I was handed a rod more than a couple of times by Pete (thanks!). Here's my first of the day, I think it was 24" if memory serves.

IMG_1403_zps74a79fac.jpg

It took a while before I got another but around noon I upgraded to a 26" fish during a double header (the one time my rod goes off I was already using Pete's LOL)

IMG_1405_zpse1ee7341.jpg

We checked out the area below the dam as well, no cats were caught but as I was reeling my cut bait into position I got a hit (thought it was weeds at first) from what turned out to be my first ever sheepshead.

IMG_1410_zps0ab6672e.jpg

Love the colours this one had on it's head.

IMG_1411_zps96597a17.jpg

I finished with this brute which was just a half inch smaller than Brian's fish.

IMG_1413_zps5468ae64.jpg

IMG_1417_zpsb55d9789.jpg

Thanks for a great day guys, can't wait to do it again!

Nice work guys and good on ya for contributing to a great cause. Very nice of you to donate your time and boat Pete!

You were out the past Monday as well? I can't really see your boat on the pics but we may have past each other. I was out with my father in law in my boat legend 19xcaliber. Kinda comforting to know you didn't have much luck that day either. :-p

And now the third angle on this fantastic day of fishing.

Arriving at the dock at 7am after a long drive (and somehow not getting lost) we were all ready to go.

Brian ended up nabbing the first Cat....... I think actually he boated 2 before anyone else had 1, which made us start calling him the cat whisperer.

Over the next hour or so I ended up boating 2. One good eater size and one that was a bullhead that really didn't look like a bullhead.

Moving around to a couple of spots the action was consistent. I managed to boat this beauty before lunch.

IMG_0155_zpsd5d53601.jpg

I think it weighed in at a little over 6 pounds but I'm going to lie and say it weighed 7. A good 26 inch fish.

Moving around to a few more spots I was able to nab this beauty.

IMG_0158_zps28893f28.jpg

Not as big as the first but it still put up a great fight. Man, do I ever love catching Cats.

I think the fish must have heard me giving Brian a hard time about the Channel cat tiring him out because I was rewarded with a beautiful 11.5 pounder towards the end of the day.

IMG_0161_zps5256f975.jpg

Brian and I both hit the gym quite regularly and these fish gave us a run for our money. They powerful shoulders on them are just unreal. Needless to say I was not prepared for just how much this thing was going to give me the run around.

IMG_0163_zpsbf67fa73.jpg

Gotta love the mouth on these beautiful fish. (I can't tell if I'm squinting or tired. As the driver for these expeditions I usually sneak a nap on the boat/ice half way through the day).

All in all this was a fantastic day for fishing. I can't say enough good things about fisherpete for taking us out on a trip that I'll never forget. A class act all the way, taught us everything we needed to know, put us on his honey holes and even passed his rod over to us so we could land some trophy Channel cats.

I was sending photos to a few buddies back home who were just in awe. They were so jealous they weren't there. Needless to say, if Pete puts another catfishing trip up next year, I'll be bidding hard on it.

IMG_0166_zpsd0695fc3.jpg

Does it ever feel good to be back on soft water in Ontario again.

Glad you guys had a good time - I had so much fun handing you my rod when it went off and watching you do battle! Thanks again for your donations, and I will indeed be donating a cat trip(s) for next years FFT auction.

Brian - that was indeed a pin, Chris brought it but the boat was a wee bit full to experiment with it.

alphaalpha - I was out with my 2 boys on Monday from noon till around 7pm, and it was indeed slow during that time period. We were marking all kinds of suspended fish, but not cats. We caught our 2 fish right near the end of the day. My boat is a black Legend Prosport with a Honda on the back, I do seem to recall seeing a few other Legends out there.

Yup pretty sure I remember passing you. Now that I have an idea of your ride if I see you again I'll stop and say hi. And yes we were marking tons of fish everywhere we stopped. I think they may have been walleye or trout coming in? They were not tight to the bottom. Maybe 1-3feet off as they went through it seemed. We did mark the odd hump stuck right down but those were few and far between.