My 2014 Opener

Fang

For 26 years, the last Saturday in April has been the exact same ritual with me. While actual trout openers go back farther as I turn 50 this year, my current focus has been on one of the cutest little creeks you'll come across. For most of the year it doesn't have enough water in it to keep creek chub happy but every spring enough steelhead run this wood infested creek to keep me coming back.

Some years the run is early and there are no fish left come end of April, but other years there's enough left to make the drive worth while. With conditions this year, I had no idea what to expect, so Easter Friday I took the drive down and walked the creek to see what I could find. It was sure a surprise to see real low water and gin clear conditions when some of the bigger rivers close to home were still muddy and high. Not one sign of any trout for a mile as I walked the banks. Kind of dejected I drove back home and wondered what to do next Saturday. Stopped in at a few shore casting spots I know of on the south shore and found guys catching some decent browns and a few small salmon. I stopped at another spot to visit some carp buddies and as I pulled in I see a bent rod and a nice 10lb carp landed.

Decisions, Decisions,.... do I break the streak for more reliable fish or just go with the flow and keep the streak alive. It wouldn't be the first time I drove all that way and found nothing left in that creek. Well halfway through the week, the decision was made for me as my 15 year old son asked if I could take him river fishing again, like we did when he was younger. Decision made!!!

Found the last pair of size 9 hip boots at Canadian Tire and got my old vest ready for the morning. As a flashback here we are back in 2009 with one of his 6 fish that day.

IMG_4581_zpsca06fede.jpg

Even with the Friday rains, the river was low, gin clear and the traditional pools I was familiar with had radically changed this year. The creek was starting to flatten out and deep water this year was probably no more than 3 feet and there was a lot less of it than in years past. This was going to be a tough day fishing wood and undercut banks.

The good thing about that is the long rod and float fishermen ignore most of the fish in this river. Got to a favorite spots and waiting for the sun to come up. Drifted a longer 10ft run (long for this river) covered in wood and started to hook fish. Big disappointment to find my freshly bought leader spool to be crud. Lots of breakoffs that day on the leader knots and I didn't have any back up. Of the 50 ft spool I brought home about 30 ft in my vest that broke in my hands right off the spool

We pulled 4 fish out of that stump in the back ground. Was a 3ft undercut that we drifted roe and worms bck under with 1 small splitshot. Lost another 4 fish that snapped us off on the wood. Favorite memory of the day was hearing my son yelling after a huge trout roared out of the wood, busted the crap leader but kept jumping 4-5 times with my son just standing there watching.

IMG_0605_zps122e93b9.jpg

My view at the next spot, a small depression about 4x4 and 2ft deep right under the tree was stacked with fish. I was on my rear flipping 6ft upstream an unweighted worm.

IMG_0608_zps904b1d59.jpg

several small guys landed, more bigger guys broke off and finally one decent one beached

IMG_0606_zps266a0fb0.jpg

Sun was staring to break through and it was getting longer between any action. Last fish set a cap on the day for me. Drifted a half dew worm through and got smashed. Fish was 10ft upstream before I could close my bail. Don't know how I was able to get up off my rear, not hit my head on the tree while this trout just tore up the pool. This fish fought just like a rodeo bull doing the roll after roll and lunged up and down the pool.

IMG_0610_zps9a380e6f.jpg

This fish beat me up. Broke my worm box getting up, My rod popped the top eye during the fight. In the net the fish flipped and twisted my wrist and then holding it for a picture it thrashed and I cut my finger on the hook.

Really happy that my son wanted to go fishing and that we got to share time on the river again. Catching some fish was an extra bonus.