Please help! Purchased used boat!

fishingguy28

Hey everyone hope all is well!

Was hoping I could get some clarification.

I know there have been posts on this in the past but there are mixed answers everywhere!!

I have just bought a used boat...

I have all the VINS, I have transferred ownership of trailer into my name, got new plates for the trailer and now am left to switch ownership of boat into my name....

I have called service canada, transport canada and even CRA, and no one can give me a clear answer...

As far as I know, I am supposed to MAIL IN a 'pleasure craft license application' with bill of sale and piece of ID, and then the ownership of the boat is now under my name....

Correct??

Am I missing something. Am I not supposed to pay tax on this purchase at some point? Will they send me a bill?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

When I transfered my ownership to my name,had to be sent to Halifax?4 weeks later it was sent back with my name on the registration.To send there a form had to be filled plus copy of Birth certificate,bill of sale for boat only and pictures of the registration #'s on the sides.Photo of drivers license as well.I may of over did it.

Edited by davey buoy

Dont think service canada offices do this anymore. Your right about what to mail and you can use it right away if it has numbers on it,they allow 90 days for you to get your numbers and put them on.

No they don't.Picked up the transfer forms from city Hall in Barrie. Don't forget a picture of the model and serial # plate.

Hmmm thanks guys... People on transport canada never mentioned anything bout the license # pictures on the boat but maybe I will send with the form just in case! I'm assuming they will send bill then... I sure won't go chasing to pay the tax man :)

Take pictures of all sides and just print them on paper copies. They sent everything back which was funny.I think they must of photo copied my pics as well .lol.

Edited by davey buoy

when I got a couple 14 foot tinnies, I just sent a letter to Canada customs with the information on the boats and they sent me the numbers for the boat and they were under my name. mind you about 5 years later the province sent in a letter demanding tax on the boats . since I was given the boats I had to get the guy who gave them to me to sign a form saying no money changed hands and that he was going to junk them. they a few years later the province asked for the tax on them again and I had to go through the same process again.

Me thinks you worry too much Anthony. Obviously things have changed since I bought her and you just walked into a service Canada office. I would just mail in the form we did last night to the address here as I mentioned.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3212.htm

Let them worry about the taxes. In the meantime you got gas money :)