Flooding?

captpierre

Don't forget all the problems they had last year in Bancroft with the York flooding downtown. If they have double the snow this year and it melts faster its going to be a night mare. I know last year they were very close to having the damn break emptying the bulk of Baptiste. Crossing my fingers for those up in the low areas near water.

It was around April 20th the flooding hit hard in Bancroft. If the warming and melting trend continues having double the snow in the same amount of time would be devastating.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2013/04/21/20758726.html

I think that may be a misconception about the dam. One of the dams on the lower York did break, but a few friends talked to some people that came to look and analyze the risk of the dam (Baptiste) failing. They seemed to feel like it was in good shape and not at risk of breaking.

The flooding was terrible though. The volume over the dam was crazy. We'll have to see how this year melts out.

I think that may be a misconception about the dam. One of the dams on the lower York did break, but a few friends talked to some people that came to look and analyze the risk of the dam (Baptiste) failing. They seemed to feel like it was in good shape and not at risk of breaking.

The flooding was terrible though. The volume over the dam was crazy. We'll have to see how this year melts out.

From what I understand, the water breached the dam, and went over the banks along side it. They had to bring in stone fill to avoid the banks washing away, not the dam itself.

S.

I thought that there were reports of it nearly breaking or something. Who knows. Needless to say with nearly double the snow and simlar temps expected in april, if there is another rain storm it coudl be real bad news two years in a row.

From what I understand, the water breached the dam, and went over the banks along side it. They had to bring in stone fill to avoid the banks washing away, not the dam itself.

S.

This may be true, I don't know, I didn't notice signs of that later in the year though.

I thought that there were reports of it nearly breaking or something. Who knows. Needless to say with nearly double the snow and simlar temps expected in april, if there is another rain storm it coudl be real bad news two years in a row.

There was a rumor floating around about that for sure. I'm very worried about the snow and ice on the ground there right now, melting slowly but with rain slated for next week.. It may get dicey. There are other dams in the province that have similar situations too, not good for the communities situated directly below them.

Eitherway if I got flooded last year I would make sure I was ready this year just in case. Start emptying the basement, double checking sump pumps buy some sand bags or whatever. I don't live there but I know a few who do and fortunately they are on higher ground. I don't think its a panic situation, just a be prepared situation. Hopefully after last year the engineers and local govt's have these things on there mind now so they can react quickly. All the signs appear to be there. Late Thaw, Heavier snow. Rapid temp increase. Only thing they can't predict is the weekend of heavy rain they got.

Not much water moving in the Severn system that flows "West". Here's a shot of the Severn Locks this morning... it's usually open well beyond what it is towards the Green Islands, in the middle of most past winters let alone April!