Autoguard Tires - Anyone got a set? Comments?

Entropy

The family van needs a new set of summer tires. I'm thinking about buying a set of Autoguard tires from Walmart and having my mechanic put them on.

It is an '06 Grand Caravan with 210 000km, and the rust is just starting to spread. It is well maintained and I hope it will last another 4 years (with the help of some TremClad and rust proofing), which is when my commuter car will be paid for. The van gets driven by my wife daily, about 100 km a day, and we run winter tires Nov to April. I have been keeping an eye our for a set on kijiji, but there is very few out there. For the price of the Autoguards (about $40 on sale, reg $80), I'm not even going to look into a set of used tires at a used tire place. The van might make it the full 4 years and more, or could go this month, and for that reason, I'm not interested in spending $500 to $1000 on tires.

Has anyone here had a set of Autoguards on a vehicle? And what was your experience with them?

FYI

Last fall I bought a set of Rovello winter tires, for my small commuter car, from Wallmart for $50 a piece and have had no problems, and plan to buy another set when these are done.

Thanks,

Entropy

I have read a lot of stuff on the internet about these tires and other inexpensive tires in general. There is the "There are only 4 tiny spots connecting you to the road, buy American or nothing" comment, to the "if they are round and hold air and work for you, use them" comment.

But, I'd be interested if anyone here as used them of knows of a close friend or family that uses them.

Thanks,

Entropy

Lol, some great comments on that link above though, fun to read at least.

Same comments were written about the Rovello winter tires I put on my car. Real happy with them and have put ... about 18 000 km on them this winter, so far, heck if I swap them out at the end of 4 years, I'm still ahead.

Entropy

The Rovello's are Chinese made. So are the winter tires the dealership wanted to sell me. I will not be putting our previous set of summers back on, they are now dangerous and should not have been used all of last summer. I think this brand at least has tread on them.

Heck, my whole car was made in Korea.

I prefer to stick with name brand tires. The quality control and the ability to hold a company accountable has a value in itself. It seems all of my vehicles have some kind of special tires ranging from load range E to runflat tires. While this in itself drives up the price of the tire they all have been pressed above and beyond there duty and have passed all of the trials I have thrown at here.

Art

Hmmm, seems most stores are out of stock, that solves that problem. $30 a tire dream, has just been crushed, lol. [$30 was the clearance price, the reg price was $89]

Guess I might end up putting some crap $100 Motomasters on, and if I'm going to do that I might as well splurge and spend a bit more and put a proper tire on.

Thanks.

Entropy

sadly wal-mart normally will not have a replacement if you get a warranty issue. seen it a few times. another tire problem with ALL sellers,check the date code . yes tires have a best before date.. I was the tireman for Chrysler Canada years back. the fleet of 150 trucks and 300 lease/company vehicles. seen a lotta tire issues. ... motomasters were a decent rubber at one time... don't know now though.

At $30 a tire I was going to buy an extra.

I had a set of walmart tires and at the time they included their warranty in the price. I took them in to be rotated every 10 000 kms, and hat 5 or 6 repairs done to them (I used the vehicle off road often, but recall most were screws and nails).

Good point about the date code. When I bought tires off kijiji, I'd checked the date code against what the seller was telling me.

Also, remember to check the date on batteries when buying them off the shelf too.

Thanks,

Entropy

The truth is all the tires sold in North America have to pass the same DOT tests..... That being said you can go and find recalls from EVERY manufacturer who had bad runs. That includes all the top tier big name brands too.

Tires are very important but making sure they are balanced, at the proper inflation and the right tire for the type of weather you drive in is critical too!!!

Lol, some great comments on that link above though, fun to read at least.

Same comments were written about the Rovello winter tires I put on my car. Real happy with them and have put ... about 18 000 km on them this winter, so far, heck if I swap them out at the end of 4 years, I'm still ahead.

Entropy

It is a good site to check out opinions on anything before buying. The hot deals section will usually help you find the best price in Canada on anything too, if it is on sale it will likely be listed in there.