Snowmobiles

Guest mistyriver1

Guest mistyriver1

Morning folks. I am contemplating buying a snowmobile (used) mainly to use for ice fishing and wanted to ask the folks that have one or are knowledgable about them a few questions.

1) Firstly, what brands do you recommend ?? I have been mainly looking on the autotrader and the one's that catch my eye thus far are Ski doo and Yamaha (mainly because that is my brand of outboard motor)

2) I am looking to spend around $3,000- $3,500, will this get me a half decent unit ?

3) What are the main things you look at when buying a used unit ? (ie. track.. etc)

4) Licencing - Do you buy a plate similar to a boat trailer which is good for life ? I know you have to buy a trail pass every year if you are going to use on trails but if you are going to use strictly on lakes do you need one ?

Any other input would be appreciated, thanks

Jim

Hi there; I just want to add my experience with ATV vs Snowmobile. I just sold my Snowmobile last year, it was a Yamaha Venture Long Track,excellent for going through the Snow or just hauling the Portable Hut around,however, what Snow??, like many people said before there were times I couldn't go fishing because of luck of Snow. I ended up buying an ATV Traxter,but thats just my preverence. If I were to buy a Snowmobile again it would be a Touring model, a two up model. As per ATV, you'll get as many opinions as ATV's out there to what brand to buy, personaly I thing all major Brands like Bombardier, Yamaha, Polaris are good machines

Have fun looking

Fishchaser

We have two snowmobiles up at the cottage so I can give a little but not much insight.

We've been Artic Cat guys from the beginging and we've had much better luck than a lot of our friends with other sleds. Right now we have a 98 ZRT 600 and a 2002 ZR longtrack. If you are looking for power than a tripple like the ZRT is a blast but they are noisier and they do guzzle the gas, also 600cc+. If this is primarily an ice fishing sled than go with a long track sled since they handle better in untrekked territory. Make sure you get one with a studded track or you get the track studded yourself! If you are looking at one that is already studded make sure you look closely for two things; 1 the studs aren't fully wor down and 2 that the studs aren't pulling right through the track.

That's all I have, good luck.

Morning folks. I am contemplating buying a snowmobile (used) mainly to use for ice fishing and wanted to ask the folks that have one or are knowledgable about them a few questions.

1) Firstly, what brands do you recommend ?? I have been mainly looking on the autotrader and the one's that catch my eye thus far are Ski doo and Yamaha (mainly because that is my brand of outboard motor)

2) I am looking to spend around $3,000- $3,500, will this get me a half decent unit ?

3) What are the main things you look at when buying a used unit ? (ie. track.. etc)

4) Licencing - Do you buy a plate similar to a boat trailer which is good for life ? I know you have to buy a trail pass every year if you are going to use on trails but if you are going to use strictly on lakes do you need one ?

Any other input would be appreciated, thanks

Jim

Im going to try my best here, my family just got into snowmobiling so i was faced with these same questions a short time ago...

1. all makes are generally on the same level of manufacturing, its all a matter of asthetics and which type of engine you prefer (2 or 4 stroke) Personally went with Yamaha, so they were a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. The quality of these machines is untouchable. Plus i believe there is going to be a emissions law enstated, saying all machines made have to meet an emissions standard. IM not sure if your worrying about resale value, but if you consider it, i would go 4 stroke. The autotrader has a ton of machines, either ski-doo, polaris, or arctic cat, but not a lot of yamahas...ask yourself why

2. That price range will get you a decent unit, just be careful when searching because you could get a dud.

3. look at the integrity of the sled, small cracks in the cowling or A-frame near the ski. put wieght on the shocks in the front and rear make sure they arent seized. check the maintenence, see if the machine has been cleaned, and lubricated etc. also probably the most important thing is the compression of the engine. make sure all cylinders are pushing a high consistent compression, (110-120psi, around that number)

4. licensing, all you need is a drivers licence, trail passes are only needed for trails not lakes.

Im not sure about the plates

hope this helps, just ask a lot of questions when ever your buying anything used. Good luck on sled shopping

As stated by others, ATVs and Sleds have their pros and cons. Depending on what lakes you go to eill depend on what will woek best for you. My self, an ATV won't do me any good on the Northern lakes I frequent. Cost wise, you van get a sled much cheaper than a used ATV.

Good sleds to look at for ice fishing are Yamaha Bravos, Skidoo Tundras, Polaris Indy lites and Artic Cat Panthers, just to name a few.

I own an Artic Cat Panther, 2 up seat, long track. This machine is great for towing gear for 3 people including 3 portable huts and 3 people. There are a few people on this site that can attest to this.

Again depending on what lakes you fish will make your choice on what to get or should I say on have much to spend. My machine cost about 5 g's when I got it. The other machine if I could have found one would have been the Skidoo Tundra. Then again, my machine was also great for trail riding.

DSCF0014.jpg

You would be in the right price range for a decent ice fishing machine. My brother has a Polaris Indy lite up for sale, asking 2 g's for it. A nice light weight machine, perfect for towing a portable, not so good if you are breaking trails.

Check the condition of the track mostly, this will tell you lots on how the machine was taken care of and how it was riden. If it is studded, make sure the studs are in good condition, not bent over or worn out. A well maintained machine should not have oil leaks, over greased idler wheels, rusty shocks etc. Check for free play in the handle bars.

As for licenceing, the machine will or should have numbers on it. Same as a car though, you have to buy an annual sticker. (15 bucks). You do need insurance on the sled as well.

mistyriver1-

I second Ron as I also have an Arctic Cat Panther.2up long track.

I'll give you an idea on the cost:

2004 Panther 570 fan cooled,3800miles.....$3995+taxes last year

License sticker needed....$15 bucks

Insurance with no collision $300.... with add $600 more

[Mandatory even on the lake.]

Trail sticker $180 before Dec 1st $230 after

The 900 odd miles of trail riding and ice fishing-PRICELESS

Personally if you are using for ice-fishing mostly stick with a fan cool

as all you'll worry about is the sliders. I never had an issue as the most

I travelled on the ice at one time was about 4 miles up cooch and I didn't

have any problems with mine.

The great part with the 2ups are they have the rack on back which is free

storage space.

Good Luck in your choice.

Kerry

some good advice here so far; things to check track conditon this can set you back 1000-1500 bucks if needed, slide rails and bogie wheels these are wear items and while not expensive need to be checked and replace occasionally.

Make sure you can start the sled you want to look at if not a compression test should be a mandatory part of inspecting a potential sled for purchasing, 2 stroke sled requires a min of 90psi to run should be 110-120 psi, 4 stroke around 160-180 na and 140ish for turbo engines.

check condition of recoil (starter rope) for fraying wear and easy recoil, easy to miss check the condtion of the front skis and runners this can easily set you back 500 bones,

all suspension parts in the front for wear(play) and cracks pay close attention to control arms and mounting points.

Check condition of battery and e starter if equipped (average battery life is 32 months) all lights and thumb and handwarmers for proper function

See if the person has any documentation on the sled for maintenance.

And as for licencing, you will require a annual sticker for your sled, insurance as well if used on public property (lakes) and if you are using ofsc trails you will require a trail permit.

with atv use no permit is required for trail use in the winter on PUBLIC trails as of yet, but you are not permitted on ofsc private trails with an atv (or a sled without a permit) while the trails are open for sleds if i can think of anything else i post later

IF I could afford it, I would buy a Bombardier Skandic SWT 550F.

But, there is no negotiating prices on these things up here, you want it, pay for it.

Presently own a 1990 Yamaha Enticer ET400T.

Been an excellent sled, little maintenance, but does not like slush one bit.

OK, it does like slush, it likes to wallow down in it and park its heavy butt in it for the duration, lol. Have to shovel it's 500 lbs. out.

But, its old school compared to sled's nowadays. It has no suspension to speak of, and you cannot put a deeper lugged track on it.

But, it can tow anything, anywhere.

My bud, just over a year ago, bought a Polaris Indy Light 340 2 up, with a very nice suspension. It tows the gear just a good as my sled, and has enough suspension, track lug thickness, and muscle to power itself out of some very deep slush.

Even with his dad on the back seat.

The one thing I do not like about sleds nowadays is the trailing arm suspensions. Not that it is not a good thing for handling, but I use mine for moose hunting also, and I can take off through a cut, or bush, and not worry about smacking that type of suspension on a stump under the snow.

He has to be very careful where he drives his. He and I were on a moose hunt last year, and he ran over a chopped off log, only about 18" long, I was right behind him. His a-arm got bent up going over it, I hit it also, but with my old leaf spring suspension on the front end, no worries. I hit the same darned log. No damage.

T'all depends on what you are going to use the sled for, in the price range you mentioned, you can find a lot of nice sleds from the different manufacturers.

Up here, if we are going fishing, we do not need to buy a trail pass for using the OFSC trails going into fishing spots. Generally, those trails are traditional access routes into lakes, which the OFSC incorporated into their trail system.

Yes, you do have to have insurance on your sled, unless you use it exclusively on your own property.

Licensing, yes, you get a sticker to put on each side of the sled, and up here, you can have it done for 2 years, or annually.

OFSC trail use a lot, buy the pass. It pays for the trail groomers, which cost about $250,000 per.

I will use my ATV in the early season, before the snow load gets too bad, but once it is over a foot or more, snowmobiles are the ticket.

best machines ive ever had was yamaha! sure other makes are just as good, up to date ive had a 1994 vmax 600 electric start and reverse,very good on gas and never left me stranded. had a bombardier never will i get one of them again. then i had a polaris,thaT thing was ok it was an indy 500..great for riding trails and pulling a little sled with ice fishing gear. then i came back to yam but something more sport(longtrack) i have fun trail riding and off in the deep powerder pulling fishing equipment is a blast. i would look into either 1. yamaha vk540 2.polaris indo 500 or 440 3.skandic wt. and whatever machine you get loom for the following things

1.compression. buy a tester from royal distributing @ 30$. from my expirience compression should be between 115-140 on 2 stroke . anything below 115 i would stay away. it will only mean in the long run you might have to do pistons and rings.

2. check slides.track..skiis and the runners. besides that you should be pretty good.

good luck and let us know what you choose..if you need any more help or have questions pm me.