Islamorada Florida Keys

fisher

Heading down for a few days in middle of March and planning to bring a rod for some shore fishing. I have never been there before

Anyone have any recommendations regarding places to fish or techniques? Also any recommendations on restaurants would be appreciated.

I have done this in the St Pete's area a couple years ago and got into a bunch of fish. Hoping the same for islamorada.

Thanks

Was just there a couple of months ago. Food at Tiki Bar was good, especially the fried fish. As for fishing, you can fish any of the bridges linking the keys. I've seen them pull nice snappers and groupers from the bridges. Also saw many tarpons roll. Parking was easy (at least when I went). Lots of bait shops along the way so no worries on that front. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Several charter/party boats at reasonable cost.

Was there 2 yrs ago and hit heavy winds for 5 days. Nobody would go out.

Didn't try around the bridges. should work. talk to local tackle shops. usually need to get shrimp/squid.

Tides play a big role. Ask around. Lots of fish.

Best, Peter

Make sure you stop in @ Bud & Mary's Marina and pick up a bucket of bait and then go hand feed the tarpon off the dock there. :)

Plenty of fish to be had off the bridges and any of the piers around. Last time I was down that way we stayed in Marathon (next key down) and we caught tons of fish both off our dock on the intercoastal and off the small pier across the street at the Ramada Inn. At night there were tons of mid sized tarpon, sharks, cudas etc under the lights. :D

Bring medium action freshwater set up, it is a blast not knowing what you will hook. Expect many bite offs, many toothy critters, including sea trout. Bring as heavy that you have as well. Local bait shops will point you in the right direction. For real Key fishing charter a boat. They will take a single to fill their boat. It like many things down in Islamorada and the Keys ain't cheap. Islamorada is a world class fishing destination. I've met people from Japan to South Africa there fishing.

As far as restaurants you can't swing a cat without hitting a good one for seafood, continental I don't know because I only ate fresh seafood there last time 5 years ago. I don't enjoy the Keys the way they were meant to be enjoyed 25 years ago. Commercial free and pristine. Not anymore since corporate America invaded The Conch Republic.

Thanks for all the replies.

Steve, I will take your recommendation of tiki bar. Read many good reviews online.

Drifter. I am going with my son and I showed him the various you tube videos of feeding tarpon at bud and Mary's. He is both nervous and excited to try that.