Winter works...

Garry2Rs

Greetings All;

Up in the Kawarthas, there is no doubt some cold weather yet to come.

However, I have started packing things I wont be using, and plan to bring home, in preparation for the trip north.

This morning we wrapped and packaged-up the rods that were built this winter.

I though I would share these two pictures.

Thiswinterscrop2013-2014027_zps71a3e3cf.

Thiswinterscrop2013-2014025_zpscc3541c7.

Four rods use a sleek looking Fiji reel seat that has a special inlet cork grip. These are a bit fiddly to install, but look great and are very comfortable to use all day long.

The other two have Areo reel seat which are also super comfortable, but always look a little "lumpy" to me.

I bought the small butt grips on rods two and five to match the handles used on these two ultra-light rods.

The other spit-grip butts are ones I glued up and turned myself.

Garry2R's

Nice Garry. What blanks did you build on?

Left to right,

Thiswinterscrop2013-2014027_zps71a3e3cf.

Rainshadow RX7 ISJ782. I have built this numerous times as a Senko rod. This one is for a client.

Rainshadow RX8 XP840. This will be my new Crappie rod.

Rainshadow ISB822.5. Dropshot rod with fast tip and tonnes of backbone incase I find a new PB...Grin.

CRB IM6 701L. This rod is for a client's Father...It is a medium light, do everything rod.

Rainshadow RX8 Walleye XSW62L. This little rod 6' 2", is so light you have to put a reel on it or it floats away...Wink.

Rainshadow RX7 ISJ782. Personal favorite blank. I put a short handle on this one because my "normal" 13-14 inch ones hits my forearm when I jig.

Edited by garry2rs

I'm still stuck on the 50 yard line...

The small RX-8 rods are very nice, but I can't make up my mind that the heavier rods are worth the extra money. We all know that the RX-8 material is pretty well limited to the butt section, to add stiffness, while reducing weight. However it appears to me that the actual weight differences are quite small. Since the tip does the casting, and you're tip is going to be RX-7 either way...

There's a new outfit called Rodgeeks, that have some very interesting blanks and they're selling "factory direct." These folks run the Mexican plants were some of St.Croix's blanks are made. The international rod building show was last weekend, and a lot of people who attended were excited about these new blanks.

I will order some as soon as I can find the cash...GRIN

Edited by garry2rs