Kayaking for pike

jediangler

After our great fishing on pike opener I decided to return to Mountsberg again on Saturday to see if the fish were still biting. This time I brought the kayak since the wind was to be less than 15km/h. The Shipper teamed up with the Impaler and again the 12' Sportspal was brought into action. The boys followed me across to where Joonmoon and I had most of our action last week.

125207.jpg

It didn't take long and we started to get a few hammer handles. The Impaler caught 6 total most of which hit a bigger sized spinnerbait.

125205.jpg

The Shipper caught 3 including this 25" that hit a Black Mamba sluggo type bait. After unhooking it he realized that at some point his rod had fallen overboard. He was not a happy camper after that. Of course the Impaler and I laughing at him didn't help much.

125206.jpg

I landed 13 for the 5hrs we fished (8am-1pm) with the biggest being this 30"er. All were caught on the same #4 Blue Fox spinner that caught me 18 the week before. My camera mount for the kayak worked well in it's second testing and now I think I'll be ready for musky opener.

The weeds must have grown a foot in one week and soon that lake will be choked with them.

Edited by jediangler

Well Hedfish, the Blue Fox was silver with a purple bell. It did have a purple bucktail tied to it, thanks to brother Joonmoon, but that only lasted for about 12 fish and then it was all shredded. For you snog I have a couple of pics of the camera mount. It was made from a hockey stick, a peanut butter jar, 2 tripods and a piece of nylon string.

125341.jpg

Two pieces of hockey stick attached with a hinge and then screwed through the kayak. A quick release from one tripod is attached to the end of the top stick. The other end of the quick release is attached to the outside of the jar lid. Inside the jar lid is the smaller tripod with the camera screwed to it.

125342.jpg

Once the fish has been landed you attach the jar to the top stick using the quick release. Then you remove the jar leaving the lid,tripod & camera. Set your 10 second timer and hit the shutter button. Then using the string lower the camera into place. You now have about 7 seconds to grab the fish and pose for the photo. After the photo you can pull back the camera by the string and check if it turned out OK. A piece of velcro strap keeps the sticks secure for car top travelling and the string goes through a hole and wraps around two hooks inside the kayak to keep it out of the way.

123098.jpg

This carp was 31" so I think I can photo a fish up to about 40-42" before the ends of the fish will be cut from the frame.

Edited by jediangler

Wow...what an awesome trip...love the pics and that camera mount is great! Only fit a 42" fish? Oh...that's too bad....LOL. I'm not the most coordinated person, so I'd be nervous fishing in a kayak, but you guys seem to have it all figured out...sucks about that fishing rod too!!! ACK!