need a couple recipes

Christopheraaron

Whitefish a la Beans

Scale, gut, remove gills, (head on/off, your choice) score the body on both sides (about 1/2 inch deep cuts) lay on foil wrap sprayed with PAM...

In a bowl mix:

1 tbs minced or finely chopped fresh garlic

1 tbs minced or finely chopped fresh ginger

2 tbs soy sauce

2 tbs oyster flavoured sauce

1/2 tsp Chinese five spices

1 or 2 tbs peanut or vegetable oil

a splash of white table wine

a dash of sriracha hot sauce (optional)

Put the Foil/fish in a baking dish and spread the above mixture over the fish...Wrap the foil around the fish and bake or BBQ in a hot oven 400 * F for about 25 minutes...check for doneness (it flakes easily using a fork) giving it more time if needed...

Spread some chopped green onion and sprinkle some sesame oil over fish then serve with hot cooked rice and veggie of your choice...I likes it with bok choy or snow peas or green peppers...

If you are concerned about the bones...this works well with fillets...

Edited by Beans

Whities: Fillet them, trim off as much of the "mud line" and fat as you can, then fillet, the fillets, so they are nice and thin. Put meat in iced water. Start heating oil, and make batter.

Batter: 1 cup flour, 1 egg, 2 tsp baking powder. Add beer until batter is thin enough that it just coats the meat after rolling in flour. (you can substitute the flour for whatever you like, some like bisquick, some like different types of flour etc)

Get oil hot, dust meat in oil, roll thru batter and fry. Season to your taste.

DELISH!!

I find whities are best cooked fresh. I don't freeze them. I will even go as far as putting them on a fish chain and keeping them alive on the ice rather than let them freeze out there. It makes a big difference. So does putting the fresh cleaned fish in the iced water. Keep them COLD, and I mean as close to frozen, but not frozen.

The herring, I'd release. The only way I like them is pickled, or smoked whole in a proper smoker.

S.

. Yes I was suprised too Wayne about 4 yrs ago my gf and myself launched at pembroke and went about 15-20 miles up the Ottawa river and first cast first fish was a huge Cisco !!!!! And it was so big I thought it had to be a whitefish. But then realized it was a Cisco and it was for sure without a doubt at least 4lbs !!!!! But I had no idea the record was only 4.33lbs !!!so I was not about to drag that fish around with us all day so we took a pic and let it go !!!!! It was after the trip a few days later I found out it was probly a record !!!! Haha lol ... Oh well and yes I have caught some big ones as well trolling for eyes as well as bouncing harnesses and minnows !!!! Sorry to side track the thread ...

That river is loaded with biggies, we got them in Westmeath.