Canadian Juniors lose again

muskymatt

This is a Globe and Mail piece (from November) that talks about this exact issue facing hockey in Canada. Never played competitive hockey as there was no way my parents could afford it back then (70's), heck, I didn't even go to summer camp either (I know, boo hoo).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/time-to-lead/the-great-offside-how-canadian-hockey-is-becoming-a-game-strictly-for-the-rich/article15349723/#dashboard/follows/

There are probably a bunch of Gretzkys or Crosbys out there but they're not in leagues so likely going un-noticed.

I'm not too fussed about importing players. If we promoted skills vs toughness, we'd see more home growns imo.

Edited by woodenboater

Rep hockey is far too expensive and it forces some kids who have the talent to play at higher levels to play in house league.

All kids are different and some prefer the competitive nature of rep hockey and have no interest in playing in lower levels.
It can be very frustrating for some.
This problem is being addressed by some, such as Subban and his organization to help under privileged children.

House league hockey isn't even cheap anymore, not too mention all the equipment.

I'm a happy camper.

My wonderful great grandmother would be proud as anything right now.

I'm first generation on my mom's side, as she was born in Finland.

Very proud right now.

(still would have been MUCH MORE PROUD if it was Canada - let me keep that clear. I am Canadian)

But man, this is huge for Finland.

It would be like us beating the States, in the States.

Big stuff in Finland right now.

Great job boys.

Its a funny topic. I think its alot of things that need to add up for kids to take it to a superior level. Some children our groomed and have influential mentors supporting them and i think thats a weird thing. I played with some wicked good hockey players, someof them never made it anywere. One has a stanley cup(duncan keith). No ifea whatever happened to duncans older brother but at that level he was FAR above duncan skill wise. There was one other guy i thought wouldbe the next gretsky for sure, scored like ten goals game playing 10-15 minutes a game. He was benched most the time cause anytime he had a shift he scored numerous times, and no kid could even touch him. He went to college and i never heard his name again??? Maybe he discovered fishing lol. Maybe an idea would be to eliminate rep teams in the early years. Players in house league would certainly benefit playing better opponents???? Hockey is expensive these days and that doesnt help. Also it "seems" parents arent as involved as generations ago. My grampa did stuff for us kids i dont really see or here of today. Flooding a rink in the bush for shinny(sounds retarded but playing hockey in the bush is wicked fun), he also got the arena operator to open the rink for us at 5-6am on friday saturday and sunday. We would play for the whole morning. Anyhow, book written, point of it? Im not sure haha

if your kid is THAT good, but you cannot afford double A or triple A, you have to at least get your kid in A hockey.

That will be enough to build skills so when they get to major peewee or minor bantam, you can then have them try out for the AA or AAA teams.

At that age they'll get scouted enough to get drafted (if good enough).

As parents you only had to shell out coin for one or two years of AA / AAA hockey.

In Hamilton we have only had a few kids make it to the big leagues lately....all three of them played A level (used to be called Hub Hockey in Hamilton) until they were PeeWee, or minor Bantom in one case.

You don't need to play AA / AAA all your years to make it to the big house.

Brian, I just want to be clear that my first team, every time, is Canada.

We have this little battle in our household for every international event.

My mother always cheers for Finland, while my dad, myself, and my brother cheer for Canada.

I've always been clear with my family that Canada comes first.

But second will always be Finland.

(I'm fifth generation Canadian on dad's side. German background there)

Unfortunately our boys just haven't been able to grow as the rest of the world. At one point in time we were the team to beat but now we are just as good as the Europeans. Lets face it we have great hockey players but our years of sending big strong teams are coming to the end. Hockey Canada needs to start to develops a faster skill based team. I love our juniors but the world is catching up!!!!

Be safe

Bill

Ps good on the Finns!! They deserved it this year