Crazy drivers in the snow.

npt1

Just got back from a nice trip with the miss' to see the Bobby Orr hall of fame in Parry Sound (she's the Bruins fan....Big time) Just past the 400/11 split it was nasty this past Wedensday. Whiteouts where I had to drop the speed to 5km/hr and even less. The roads were a complete dogs breakfast. I shook my head at the heros trying to pass. I drive a 4x4 and know better than to try and pass some one with road conditions like what I seen the other day. A little but of me always wishes to see JoBlow in his Jetta or whatever off in a snow bank for pullin stunts like that. Unbelievable. I rember my driving instructor from way back telling the students if you drive from Toronto to Niagra it'll take X amount of time. If you do the same trip and speed you'll arrive 5 miniuts earlier. At what speed I forget, but the point was is it worth five miniuts? I've always held that thought in my head and just wanted to pass it along. I think it drives home the point. It's been a good way I thought of putting it in perspective. Slow down. you may like what you wouldnt see driving like a jackass. By the way no one out fishing on the lake that the hall of fame is surrounded by. Nice place. Safe driving all.

A car driving 60 mph is going a mile a minute. A car driving 75 mph is going 1 1/4 miles a minute . If you maintain 15 mph over the speed limit for 60 minutes straight you have arrived at your destination 15 minutes faster. This is equal to 4 average red light signals, one stop at Timmy Hortons or 1/4 of the time it takes for the police officer to write you a ticket. Slow down it can save you or more importantly some other innocent persons life.

Art

The last time I was stopped(30yrs ago) the officer asked me if I was in a hurry and I said I was sort of (9mph over) it took him 35 minutes to tell me to slow down.Didnt get a ticket BUT the date was pissed at me for being late and it was a BAD start to the evening that ended worse...So how long was it ETERNITY :wallbash::wallbash:

vance

Much thanks Art for the math portion. You seem to get it. :) Now to teach others lol. Safe drives tonight and this weekend fellas and ladies. It's not lookin good out there.

I taught defensive driving for DMV for a few years for extra money back in the mid 80's. I wish it was mandatory for all drivers instead of just the ones that had 5 points or more on their license.

Art

Back in the early 70's, the stepfather had me ride along in the cruiser while he ran speed traps. He could easily write a ticket every 5 minutes. Of course they were half filled out minus time, speed, and direction of travel. Yes Toronto had ticket quotas way back then.

If a speeder came by while he was writing one ticket, I just had to yell out the cruiser window and Gord would flag the next fool over. I just wrote out the indicated speed for him.