I'm back from Mac

wormdunker

Hey guys/girls. I've been out of the loop as I've been working in Fort McMurray for the past 1 1/2 years. The last camp I was at didn't have an internet connection so I was unable to keep up with the OFC news. Good to hear every one is healthy & happy. I'm off till after the New Year so I'll have more time to follow the board. Today I plan to get my ice fishing gear checked over for the upcoming season.

Thanx for the warm welcome & comments.

Yes Mike it is damn cold out there. Recently it was -30 with a windchill of -37. I flew home Wednesday evening it was -22 with a windchill of -30 BRRR! Fortunately I am a crane operator in a heated cab. Only 2 or 3" of snow. Most of the heavy snowfall is south of us in Edmonton & Calgary.

Rod Caster I didn't get a chance to fish at all, working too many hours. We work 20 days sraight (10 hours per day) then off for 8 days. I know 1 guy who was catching walleye back in September in the Athabasca River at highway 63. Only a 10 minute walk from our camp. Lac La Biche (spelling?) is quite a fishery which is south of Fort Mac.

Misfish Yes to me it was very good (financially), due to the hours worked & overtime available. For a younger person it is definitely a good opportunity. I know labourers who are making 100k a year. Carpenters earn $38.00 per hour & with OT are earning 125K per year. Crane operators it's even better. Some guys don't do as well depending which contractor you're working for. A buddy of mine only lasted 5 days but there was different circumstances. He is a red seal carpenter from Ontario earning 38 bux per hour, but the company wanted him to jack hammer concrete. I wouldn't bust concrete either with his credentials. Fortunately I'm working for a very good company out of Calgary - Pacer Corp. They provide all flights, meals at the camp are awesome, & the accomodations are adequate. Clean comfortable & extra activities such as pool tables, ping pong. Hell the 1 camp even has an ice rink & driving range. If I were out of work in Ontario I would definitely investigate Fort McMurray. The other province that is booming right now is Saskatchewan.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, I have lottsa spare time to answer your questions.

Now, bring on the hardwater!!

Thanx for the warm welcome & comments.

Yes Mike it is damn cold out there. Recently it was -30 with a windchill of -37. I flew home Wednesday evening it was -22 with a windchill of -30 BRRR! Fortunately I am a crane operator in a heated cab. Only 2 or 3" of snow. Most of the heavy snowfall is south of us in Edmonton & Calgary.

Rod Caster I didn't get a chance to fish at all, working too many hours. We work 20 days sraight (10 hours per day) then off for 8 days. I know 1 guy who was catching walleye back in September in the Athabasca River at highway 63. Only a 10 minute walk from our camp. Lac La Biche (spelling?) is quite a fishery which is south of Fort Mac.

Misfish Yes to me it was very good (financially), due to the hours worked & overtime available. For a younger person it is definitely a good opportunity. I know labourers who are making 100k a year. Carpenters earn $38.00 per hour & with OT are earning 125K per year. Crane operators it's even better. Some guys don't do as well depending which contractor you're working for. A buddy of mine only lasted 5 days but there was different circumstances. He is a red seal carpenter from Ontario earning 38 bux per hour, but the company wanted him to jack hammer concrete. I wouldn't bust concrete either with his credentials. Fortunately I'm working for a very good company out of Calgary - Pacer Corp. They provide all flights, meals at the camp are awesome, & the accomodations are adequate. Clean comfortable & extra activities such as pool tables, ping pong. Hell the 1 camp even has an ice rink & driving range. If I were out of work in Ontario I would definitely investigate Fort McMurray. The other province that is booming right now is Saskatchewan.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, I have lottsa spare time to answer your questions.

Now, bring on the hardwater!!

Sounds like you were at Kearl. That camp was huge.

Probably something I'm going to explore in a year or so, If they have available sheet metal jobs that is I would love to be earning that kind of dough for a couple years to come back here with when I'm 25 or 26 and buy another house, all for me and not have to rent out rooms to people lol, used to working 60-90 hour weeks so I don't think I'd be out of place lol