FMZ 17 cold water fisheries management survey

fishindevil

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W3FG9GP wow !! Hard to get link on iPhone for me there is a survey about brook trout brown and rainbow trout fisheries in FMZ 17 about proposed changes including stocking and priorities I hope the link shows it it's also on the MNR website I did the survey just can't seem to get the link to copy ?? Can anyone do this for us to all do the survey ?? Thanks

Brook trout are declining in many watersheds in southern ontario outside of zone 17. Climate change, water volume/quality, habitat loss due to urban encrouchment and food web decline are all major contributors to this loss.

Angling technics or restrictions are a stop gap measure that will not adress the overall matters above, but MNR in its convoluded do nothing approach to things thinks it may work.

I dont believe that a regulatory change to angling should be decided unless the above matters are looked at. One other solution may be to find genetically pure brook trout strains within these watersheds and have community groups begin a stocking program with these pure strains in an effort to establish a put delay fishery, recognizing that we have to have Trent do the genetic work to make sure they are pure.

The final optinon would be to recognize the naturalized fish brown and rainbows and work to increase thier population. There are many diemetriclly opposing papers that discuss how these native and naturalized speices co exist in harmony.

I akin this entire survey to flogging a dead horse, while the temporal componant would be great for a published paper, the anglers of ontario want increased catch rates. If we look at a successful rainbow fishery the Credit river, through the efforts of a community group its run has increased 5 fold, and with it angling effort, tourist dollars etc have also increased. Now MNR has all but stopped Adult transfers ( the overwhelming reason the rainbow trout population increased) and now with less avaliable fish there are less avaliable fisherman.The new urban fisheries plan calls for methods to increase angler liscense sales in the urban centers. I believe allowing a proven successful fish species to florish would be one way

Sadly while brook trout are a great indicator of good water quality, we here in Southern Ontario for the most part have lost water chemistry for this fragile fish species to florish.

Edited by aniceguy

I akin this entire survey to flogging a dead horse, while the temporal componant would be great for a published paper, the anglers of ontario want increased catch rates

And I assure you decreased harvest will increase catch rates as it has everywhere they have been introduced.

And

Sadly while brook trout are a great indicator of good water quality, we here in Southern Ontario for the most part have lost water chemistry for this fragile fish species to florish.

What your source for this ? Water temps, yes water chemistry no. I know of brook trout streams that exist in the middle of a dump reason -cold water.

Edited by Musky or Specks

reducing angler harvest from a 5 - 2 with rainbows had about minimal drop on overall population dynamics in Lake O. With Brook Trout even a more fragile fish while it will be a drop in harvest meaning more fish due to less harvest still does'nt resolve the other habitat related issues and in certain creeks the piss poor genetics.

I can site about 20 creeks that have great thermal regime but have a severely depressed brok trout population due to water chemistry makeup. Obviously im not about to post it in public, but I can say the Upper Credit would certainly be one great example of a cold water stream with a declining brook trout population

It seems as though they acknowledged that habitat degradation is an important factor along with harvest numbers.

I filled it out based on when i used to fish for those resident trout up to a couple years ago. Cant see limit reductions playing a huge role, but when i think of some of the more productive stretches of brookie water on those headwater streams there is no way that a five fish limit would be sustainable is people were to start fishing there in numbers.

what is the thought behind this survey liverelease... over the last few years some high up biologist (not going to name their name on a open fourm) would love to see all dams closed off to naturalized fish (rainbows salmon ect) is this the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this study is there a hidden agenda ??

I akin this entire survey to flogging a dead horse, while the temporal componant would be great for a published paper, the anglers of ontario want increased catch rates

And I assure you decreased harvest will increase catch rates as it has everywhere they have been introduced.

And

What your source for this ? Water temps, yes water chemistry no. I know of brook trout streams that exist in the middle of a dump reason -cold water.

Lol anyone who has fished Simcoe area (the town not the lake) knows water quality has nothing to do with it! Brookies hiding under carp in the stagnant duck park! Lol