How Stable is Stabil?

captpierre

From a personal experience I won't use either the blue or red. We had a can plastic container of red at work, after one year, about 1/2 empty, the remaining amount turned cloudy. I had a small amount of 2 stroke mixed with the blue kind, the following spring, the blue stuff sat in the bottom of the gas container like jello. I can imagine what that would look like in a carb. No thanks, that's why I run everything dry, nothing to gum up or totally clog. If I have to replace a diaphram, that's a lot quicker and cheaper than a whole carb cleaning.

If you think Stabil or any other product prevent phase separation, I've got some dry land for you in the Okafenokee swamp. http://No chemical agent or fuel additive can be added to E10 gasoline, in a reasonable quantity, that will fully prevent phase separation or recombine a phase-separated layer.

Edited by Fisherman

Thanks for the link fisherman, and yes it's true ethanol or corn gas is garbage no doubt !!!! And I do like sinker does always add seafoam to my sleds my boats snowblower and all my gas engines and never had an issue with storage of fuel it also matteres about venting your tanks too if the tank can take air in it can absorb moisture and can be a nightmare !!!! If I have old gas I think is not good I don't use it and gas usually never sits around long enough for phase separation to happen !!!! I actually will be draining my sled of last winters gas and be discarding it and putting fresh new gas in !!!! $30 worth of gas or a $2,000 repair bill ???? Hmmmm I always throw the gas out to be safe !!!!!

But yes I have noticed after a year or so if the bottle gas been opened it has turned cloudy ?? Not sure why (the red Canadian tire stabilizer) I only have used the red and marine stabil and find it lasts a lot longer before going off color,cloudy ?? It's hard to get reliable info as there is many different versions of what's ok to use and what's not ?? But for sure the gas today is all crap anyways unless you can find corn free gas and it's getting harder to find all the time ... Grrrr