Florocarbon leader? how long?

bassfighter

I am just wondering how long of florocarbon leader does most anglers used? Why?

For steelheading?

For bass?

Can you use a swivel to connect the main line and the leader line?

Is two foot leader enough for bass or walleye on clear water?

For pike or musky, will stainless steel leader spook the fish?

How strong is a 20 or 30lb florocarbon leader? Will the teeth of pikes break it?

I am just wondering how long of florocarbon leader does most anglers used? Why?

For steelheading?

***Depends on the depth you are fishing and the clarity of the water. Longer leads when the water is clear and deep, not necessary in stained water.

For bass?

***Are bass that finicky? I guess 6' is plenty...

Can you use a swivel to connect the main line and the leader line?

Yeah but a uni-to-uni knot casts easier through your guides than a 2-way swivel.

Is two foot leader enough for bass or walleye on clear water?

6' Minimum, so if you need to re-tie you have enough leader to work with.

For pike or musky, will stainless steel leader spook the fish?

Pike and Musky are not very line shy, and there are better leaders out there. Look up titanium leaders, even better are the heavy fluorocarbon leaders in 130lb test (They don't damage the fish if it decides to roll in the line). Stringease tackle makes some nice leaders with high-quality snaps and swivels already tied.

How strong is a 20 or 30lb florocarbon leader? Will the teeth of pikes break it?

How big is the pike? :lol: Go heavier if you anticipate larger fish, minimum 50lb test fluorocarbon.

P.S. Next time, use the SEARCH feature. These questions have been answered many times before. This is your only get out of jail free response :lol:

Tony

Pike will rip through 30lb fluorocarbon. Go 50lb minimum, and 80lb for confidence. For bass and walleye in clear water, go with at least a 6 foot lead. Connecting your leader to your mainline with a uni-to-uni knot will allow the use of a longer lead, since the knot can be wound through the guides and onto the spool.

For Bass, I don't use any kind of leader material. I am using Stren Superbraid at 12#. I do keep a close eye on the line for signs of fraying or wearing, and just re-tie. Gotta be careful of the hammer-handles from time to time.

For Pike/Musky. Casting I use a 2 foot steel Leader and move to 3 foot for trolling. I had purchased these from an OFC member, Eh. Been looking for some place to pick up some flouro leaders around the same length,

for very spooky steelhead, you may wish to opt out of the swivel & tie your leader directly to your mainline because the knot is much less visible. this also more easily allows you to tie on an extra long fluoro lead & place your float onto the fluoro instead of the main line. i.e. in late spring, low, clear water conditions.

p.-