Blewit Mushroom? NF

Rod Caster

I have been always curious about shrooming but been chicken to try it out. My sister and her kids when I was little picked a poisonous one had to be rushed to the hospital.

I have only gone for fiddle heads and water crest...both tasty might I say. Thanks for posting bud. Very informative.

Hey EHG and Bluegill, I've been reading up on both the Honey and Blueing Bolete, and it seems that some of the credible reference guides i.e. Pedersen's, classify them as "Not Recommended" for eating. They further mention that the Honey has been historically known as making people ill, but more recently people have been eating them, with only a small percentage of people having ill-reactions. The other thing they mention about the honey, is that there are other Similar species, making it hard to identify, thereby "Not Recommending" them.

Essentially the same story applies to the Blueing Bolete, including the beginners Bolete Rule "you can safely eat any bolete EXCEPT ones that turn blue when bruised and/or have a red or orange pore surface.".... although it's mostly recognized that gyroporus Cyanescens is excluded from this rule.

I'm thinking that these field guide books are quite conservative, worried about litigation and aimed at beginners, so if there area any concerns of mis-identification or illness, that they label it as "Not Recommended". I've seen other species otherwise edible, that are labelled "not recommended". What do you think?

Edited by Rod Caster

Really got into mushroom identification 15=20 yrs. ago.

Found the best eating mushrooms were in order-

!. By far Black Morels- they are around when fiddleheads are best.

Best dinner ever was Morels, fiddleheads, with fresh caught crappie in spring.

2 Lobster mushroom- easily identified and surprisingly great-read up on them.

3 Chantrelles and Black trumpets.

4.King Boletes- have to find buttons or they get lots of bug/larvae

5. Blewits- Latest in season usually bug free.

Despite there being hundreds of different types of mushrooms (enjoyed just identifying them) my list of edibles i would keep was short.

Honey mushrooms i would skip over for different reasons.

I would highly recommend next summer chantrelles (especially black trumpets). Need to find deciduous hardwoods.,

Once you gain knowledge and experience finding buttons of fairly new king boletes or even meadow, horse mushrooms is good before the bugs get them. You seem to be cautious which you need.

There are others even, found 'sweet tooth' a few times they were great.

Just took a quick trip with the camera around the cottage.

Found these. Some don't look too good. One looked like it may be OK. But I'd never try it without knowing for sure.

These were the first ones that don't look right. Especially underneath.

P1040452_zps82065efa.jpg

P1040453_zps1313cb9c.jpg

This one looked like it may be possible.

P1040454_zps4ffb824e.jpg

P1040457_zps64296069.jpg

Not sure if this one is an earlier version of the previous one.

P1040455_zps8c8046a4.jpg

Any thoughts?

I haven't seen any Hedgehog's (sweet tooth) around here yet. Infact, the mushrooms have been fairly dorment this past week. The only ones I'm seeing are the Golden Corals and a few Honey's. The Chantrelles are past their prime as well.

Bernie, Those top ones look like a 'Bolete' type mushrooms, I'd say Goldstalk based on those two photos .... Boletes have an underside that looks like foam.

Just took a quick trip with the camera around the cottage.

P1040452_zps82065efa.jpg

P1040453_zps1313cb9c.jpg

P1040454_zps4ffb824e.jpg

P1040457_zps64296069.jpg

The white mushrooms at the end there are quite poisonous.

Members of this species (Amanita) have names such as Death Cap, Destroying Angel, etc...

Guess that is why eating wild mushroom is not recommended.

I'd love to have someone who knows about these things take me out ans show me the ropes. I have access to thousands of acres of property, and they are all loaded with mushrooms, but I'm afraid to try them, and can't find time to research them.

I love mushrooms, but unless its a puffball, morels, or shaggy manes, I don't touch them.

S.

I'd love to have someone who knows about these things take me out ans show me the ropes. I have access to thousands of acres of property, and they are all loaded with mushrooms, but I'm afraid to try them, and can't find time to research them.

I love mushrooms, but unless its a puffball, morels, or shaggy manes, I don't touch them.

S.

Shayne, if i wasn't disabled i would be there in blink of an eye showing you this stuff.

I know you would get it

Start off with morels, your work area will be full of them in May.

Figure out chantrelles and you would have an endless bounty of wild edibles to add to fished or hunted things.

The white mushrooms at the end there are quite poisonous.

Members of this species (Amanita) have names such as Death Cap, Destroying Angel, etc...

Guess that is why eating wild mushroom is not recommended.

Thank you for that info.

I would never have guessed that one is poisonous. It looked like the most edible one. Ha!