Barometric pressure....

Shloim

I don't know a rational explanation for fishing tied to lunar cycles either (at least in smaller inland lakes where there is no tide), but I believe they do affect fishing.

I don't know the rational either, but I totally believe in lunar cycles, but mostly for walleye when fishing dusk and after dark

I remember when I had an aquarium with 3 bull heads in there, most of the time they would sit still, side by side, under a rock, but sometimes they all would be swimming all over the tank for short periods, I believe when they did this it would correspond to when the fish would be biting, and the animals at the zoo would be super active, and the dragon flies would be all over the place etc..

I actually place most of my fishing abilities on being able to identify patterns. I use all of the clues mother nature gives me and apply it to the day I am fishing. No matter what the effects of the barometric pressure or the pull of the lunar cycle is fish will react to it the same way. Fish are driven by cause and effect (instinct). They do not make decisions on food, shelter or even breeding but rather these actions are reactions to the environment around them.

Part two coming soon I got to head out to work.

Art

And I enjoy figuring out the patterns almost as much as catching the fish anyways so at least the changes in weather keep the game interesting for sure !!! Cheers art !!!

I'm the same... It's the tough days that keep me out longer... When they're biting really well... Those days I'm willing to cut short... Days where I'm busting my hump to catch... I'll fish all day trying to figure it out.... I'll even relaunch in deferent ares to try and find active fish up/down river....

I'm more proud of a limit on a tough bite then 2-3 times a limit when they're biting...

I agree with the patterning of fish as a key tool to finding the bite. I am very fortunate down here with the variety of fishing guru's I have met and fished with over the years. While fishing we talk about may things and some of the discussions have been what to do on a hard bite. The first thing that we all agree on is that fish react to its surrounding the same way every time the condition is exactly the same if it is in the same condition/health etc.. This means a fish that is in a body of water is removed to a laboratory during the spawn will, if the conditions are changed will stop spawning You can then simulate in the lab the spawn and they will start back up. This train of thought of cause and effect can make fish easier to pattern. We all know that fishing a wind blown shore after a few days produces fish. The reason is the wind concentrates the food chain on that shore and we find them in a feeding pattern. The fish don't decide that it is windy so I am going to check the wind blown shore they have just followed the food. Once you have found the food you have to then decide what mood are they in. If they are hungry then it is an easy day to fish but what if they are neutral or negative to hunger. Now you have to get them to bite for another reason like anger or curiosity. Once you find the key to the reason you will catch fish that are hungry, angry, and curious. Eventually the bite will fade and it is time to recheck the conditions and if they have not changed move to an area that has the same set of conditions and start catching fish again. As much as we wish it was true there is not fish everywhere in a lake the lake has X amount of food, cover, safety that the fish gravitate to and the other places are just water between on place to the next. Finding the places that trigger the fish to feed by seeing the environmental patterns will go far in the pursuit of fish that bite. Patterns change but fish for the most part react the same.

Art