On the Fly

bowshep

Well since l suck at Float Fishing :wallbash: . I have just purchesed a new Fly Rod and Reel. Its a NTX series from TFO. I have been practicing on the grass for the past few days with out the hook. Thankfully l am trying this approch, it's bad enough that the line alone can make you bleed. Well as everyone says it will happen and lm just praying that l have better luck with the fly, Damn Trout.

Well with the new digi camera l hope to show my fist fish with the fly. l dont care if it is 3 inches long l will take the pic. Peace Ken

Welcome to flyfishing bowshep. It can consume you. Danbo is right that video with Doug Swisher is quite good, I would also recomend Panfish & Bass Flyfishing basics with Larry Dahlberg, he explains the basics of flycasting in such simple and easy terms. Also check with a local flyshop, if they have any beginner classes, I took ones with Rick Whorwood, and I have to admit when someone who knows what there doing can tell you right away how to correct your mistakes, it really helps.

Good Luck.

Im already set up with lessons my instructor helped me get the Fly Gear well atlest the cheap part next year it will be the tieing and that should set me back a few Hooks. l want to be so good at fishing all types of fishing maybe become a master at something other than water watching lol. thanks People l have the suites on the computer and will look at them. Oh l learnd that when you make that whip crack the featers dont stay on the fly lol Peace Ken

tie a little bit of yarn to the end of your leader... that will act as a fly, not hook ya, and shouldn't fall off too easily... welcome to the sport man... Its loads of fun, you wouldn't believe the looks you get when people ask the Lb test and you say ohh just 1.1 lb.... Loads of fun,... what rivers, species you planning on fishing? Good Luck!

Edited by Bill Parker

I will fish any river that flows the same as Float Fishing. Which l am not successful at. The experts thinks its because of scent but l do have a shower. The species lm hunting for is my nemessis TROUT (gal darn infernal jupiter smashing...) and then bass. I did a few casts with a fly on and l blew the feathers of it so l am just useing the leader and even that took blood. So the yarn sounds very safe lol. But l am looking forward in mastering it and then tieing flys is what l am really looking forward in creating. l have seen some amazing work by a few of the fly gods. But most of all fishing is my church, l get to breath when l fish, think nothing but fish and the dance of the cast and retrive. Peace Ken

well there are loads of opportunities for trout anyway so thats good (I too target primarily trout with my flyrod...)and yea the yarn works much better than a the fly you have on... make sure though it is not too big/small of a piece... maybe the size od a nickel or quarter... avoid casting without something on the end as the whipping noise can ruin your leader ;) Tying is also an art i have begun, and been doing for just over a year now... lots of fun but the first few flies are usually pitiful and very discouraging lol Its a good help though, much better than paying 3-8 bucks a fly